Compulsive gamblers want to lose?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    LCA81 WANTED $24
    Outlaw

I was watching the film, The gambler with james caan, it’s from 1974 so is dated but I quite enjoyed it, anyway one of the lines in it is, that compulsive gamblers want to lose even when they have won they continue, Ive heard this before but how true is it?

The Bandit WANTED $5,355
    El Bandito

It isn’t true in the slightest if you ask me, compulsive gamblers always want more is the problem they have, nothing is big enough, get to a grand you want 2 grand, get to 10 then you can get to 20, get to a million, well i could do 2 million and unfortunately, if you go that way, it will almost always end up at £0 won’t it.

LCA81 WANTED $24
    Outlaw

The Bandit wrote:

It isn’t true in the slightest if you ask me, compulsive gamblers always want more is the problem they have, nothing is big enough, get to a grand you want 2 grand, get to 10 then you can get to 20, get to a million, well i could do 2 million and unfortunately, if you go that way, it will almost always end up at £0 won’t it.

Yeah I’m not convinced anyone who gambles wants to lose, but in the film he deviates away from what he is winning at, to bet on things that are odds against, for the juice as he calls it and it goes tits up, which has happened to us all!

Kazza78 WANTED $13
    Outlaw

Haven’t seen the movie, but perhaps he just feels more normal when losing, as its probably what he is used to, and doesn’t know how to feel when he wins. Just a thought….

Dublinmark WANTED $15
    Outlaw

I knew a fella years ago if, He left the bookies with some money even £5, He considered he was up because the bookie didn’t get everything ?

Twisted logic or something ?

thunderball6 WANTED $272
    Outlaw

LCA81 wrote:

I was watching the film, The gambler with james caan, it’s from 1974 so is dated but I quite enjoyed it, anyway one of the lines in it is, that compulsive gamblers want to lose even when they have won they continue, Ive heard this before but how true is it?

There’s a remake off that film only a few years old , give it a watch

Ezekiel2517 WANTED $15
    Outlaw

There is actually psychology behind this, someone who is institutionalised to the point they have gambled and lost for many, many years, become so used to the feeling of despair and worry, they find it hard to function without it. It goes a lot deeper than that, but time and a place and all that.

argyl53 WANTED $419
    Outlaw

I’d say it’s more compulsive gamblers want to keep playing. Years ago, when I would regularly get balls deep in the FOBTs, I could easily go from £800 up to £500 down in the same day simply because I couldn’t walk away. It would put me in an almost trance-like state where the reality of the amount of money I’d lost and its value would only hit me when I walked out the bookies, pockets empty. No win was ever enough for me. I can remember not just one but loads of times I would get a few really lucky hits, turn a couple of hundred in to a few grand (I believe £80 to £5k in 3 days was my FOBT record, entirely from slots, never played roulette on them). Didn’t matter, all that would happen is I’d play every day until it was all gone and then some. Sometimes that would take a few days, sometimes an entire month but the end result was inevitable and always the same.

I discovered gambling when I was about 10, playing 5p stake, £5 jackpot fruities in a local arcade and I guess I’ve always had a bit of a predilection for it, but the dangerous days only started when I was 18, I’d won a £25 jackpot of a fruit machine and on an impulse decided to stick it in one of these weird video slots in the arcade I’d never played, it was 3 machines joined together and all I could tell was they had some shared pot thing above them. Didn’t know how to play or win, it was nothing like the pub-style fruits, all I knew was it was £1 a spin and could pay up to £500. The obscure game I put my £25 in was actually the first edition of Rainbow Riches. On my third spin, it brought in the pots. I had no idea what was happening, all this stuff came up on the screen and moments later I’d somehow won £250, which the machine paid out entirely in pound coins.

Honestly I wish that had never happened – I often wonder how much different and happier my life would be if that £25 had just lost without anything exciting happening.

sidders WANTED $21
    Outlaw

I remember reading a study a couple years ago and they where saying ” when a gambler begins to lose, it’s the trying to win it back that gives them the alpha wave thing in your head. Apparently it’s more of a thrill to win it back than it is to win.”

I believe they attached them head electrodes to the head and measured the waves etc. I’ll try find it

Anonymous WANTED $483
    Inactive

Ive heard this before too.

I myself used to get used to the feeling of losing. THEN the feeling of winning just felt wierd. So i cracked on.

So yeah i kind of agree.

BenLFC WANTED $9
    Outlaw

Think the problem is a compulsive gambler will just believe he is always going to win until the inevitable happens and its all gone, Always the optimist. But yes I have also heard the saying.

bishman WANTED $55
    Outlaw

I don’t know if we want to lose but we certainly have trouble knowing when to stop, sometimes it’s impossible.

Green2711 WANTED $492
    Outlaw

It depends how you perceive wanting to lose. I don’t think many compulsive gamblers would want to lose on purpose although there will be a few people out there for sure, reminds me of brewsters millions actually haha saying that though most compulsive gamblers won’t stop and want to keep playing and the more you play the more likely you are to lose so if you look at it that way then perhaps. I’ve literally got so tilted before that I’ve done crazy roulette spins or purposely gone on a slot that never bonuses for me on a high stake shouting “just take the rest of the money then you’ve already arse raped me!” but I wouldn’t class that as wanting to lose just gamblers tilt.

Haz40 WANTED $1,166
    Outlaw

The only times I’ve wanted to lose is when I’ve been 800 or a grand in and I’ve got maybe 40 or 60 quid left. You know your not going to get your money back.You stay round the same balance for ages and you know the inevitable will happen. I just think ffs just take it then i get the fuck out of here.

Cheers-for-that WANTED $2
    Outlaw

The psychology of gambling is probably unique to the individual. I know in the past I’ve felt a sense of relief when I’ve busted. Only yesterday having a little flutter on slots I was up and down so much and at the bust point on numerous occasions that when it came I just got on with my day. I understand for others this may culminate in frustration that leads to redeposit after redeposit but I walked away happy as I had had my fill and a relatively fun time doing it. The value of money for me is irrelevant mostly, standfast the days you blow a massive wedge and feel like a c**t. I’ve celebrated a £10 on a 8/1 horse like I’d won the lottery yet barely registered emotion on a £150 3/1. It’s such a strange beast.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)