Car advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Winningbird WANTED $574
    Outlaw

Sorry for posting this on a slots forum but I’m lost on what to do Haha!

So my car is saying it’s over heating. I had the AA out in November to have a look and take the car home but he tested the temperature of the engine and it was normal and he couldn’t find a fault with it. Comes to yesterday, I was dropping my daughter off, and it overheated again but this time I smelt burning.

The fans are kicking in. I’ve also noticed that when I’m driving somewhere, the car warms up very quick, and after 30 mins of driving or so, the heating in the car will only kick cold air out.

What’s wrong with my baby? Please someone help :/ it’s a 2005 Honda civic 1.6 petrol with over 185k on the clock.

Anyone who says send it to the scrap yard better be ready for a shouting at from me 🙁

benq99 WANTED $229
    Outlaw

sounds like the thermostat is not opening which will over head as it is not letting the water go through the engine block plus that is why your heater only blows cold

FreeStyle WANTED $22
    Outlaw

Check both the oil and coolant levels. Do this first thing in the morning, when the car has had some time to cool down.

This should help..<span style=”font-size: 1rem;”> (more of a general video, wont be exactly the same as your car, but will point you in the right direction)</span>

If they are both ok, it may be something more serious. You will need to contact a mechanic.

benq99 WANTED $229
    Outlaw

Engine overheating and no heat can, paradoxically, be related. … The most common causes of overheating include low coolant level (including that due to leaks), a faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt

Winningbird WANTED $574
    Outlaw

This is the thing.. it’s been to 3 mechanics who have all said different things. I can’t go trying each one until it’s fixed because I’m skint until payday at the end of the month.

I’ve checked the coolant, theres no leaks or anything.

If thermostat was constantly open why would it show the cars temperature to fully hot? Surely this would mean it’s cold and it would stay as if the car was turned off? If it was fully closed I’d have thought the fans wouldn’t even be kicking in, but they are.

Winningbird WANTED $574
    Outlaw

It doesn’t do it every day either. I went straight to morrisons after it happened yesterday and it was fine after. It’s only the smell of the burning that made me want to get it fixed because it’s been doing it since November.

benq99 WANTED $229
    Outlaw

thermostat that is faulty dont open that is why it over heats you can check thermostat take it out of car drop in hot water if it dont open its faulty.thermostat is what i think it is

Winningbird WANTED $574
    Outlaw

Cheers Ben, I’ll check it when I get 5 mins 🙂

benq99 WANTED $229
    Outlaw

The thermostat may be your problem. Remove the thermostat and check it when it is cold to see that it is closed. Put the thermostat in a pan of hot water on a stove. The thermostat should be open when the water is near boiling. If the thermostat is okay, the temperature sensor may be your problem. you can run the car with no thermostat untill you can get new one but for your car are only about £12 and so simple to fit

Winningbird WANTED $574
    Outlaw

Just been and got a temp sensor.. first step wish me luck 🙂

bishman WANTED $55
    Outlaw

Could be the head gasket?  Use the dipstick to check the oil level and see if there is any froth on the dip stick, or under the oil cap.

Patty1974 WANTED $37
    Outlaw

We had the same problem with ours, a 56 plate. We traded ours in when we got a new car but my mate who works at the garage told me they had changed the thermostat. Had the same issue with an Altea but that was down to a faulty hose. The Civic was a great car though and it never missed a beat. Never had any issues with rust and it was sad to see it go. ?

MichaelLFC96 WANTED $114
    Outlaw

Treat yourself to the next gen you’ll never look back ?

My little beauty, when the time comes I’d love a new plate civic sport, think I’m still too young for a type R GT, the insurance would be more than the car ?

Winningbird WANTED $574
    Outlaw

I really want the 2017 shape type r but theres no way I’m letting my 4 year old anywhere near one Haha! I think they ruined the 2018 civic.

Was thinking about your shape Michael, but don’t you think they look like a space ship inside? My other half has a CRV and is planning on trading it in for a type S.

As for checking the oil, already done. I’m going to fit the sensor tomorrow morning, seems it’s just a 17mm socket so should be easy enough.. pfft haha

Winningbird WANTED $574
    Outlaw

This is our old type R.. I miss it but no good having a nice car when you only drive it to work and back 🙁

https://imgur.com/a/yQECzQK

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)