Jobs lost due to gambling

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Redcorvette WANTED $19
    Spectator

Spekz2018 wrote:

andywilliams1187 wrote:

First of all don’t worry mate, we have all done stupid things at some point.

How rrasonable is your employer? If you can ask him to drop the charges and tell them you will pay them back. If they prosecute its not the end of the world but yoy want to keep anythings of a future dbs check as a lot of companies carry one out these days so if you can stop it that would be a result!!!

Oh and don’t do it again hahaha

No employer is not willing to to drop it as they are wanting to make an example as to warn off other members or staff according to there letters I have received they have classed it as fraud as I was falsifying figures to cover up the missing stock.  The CRB check is going to be a massive issue if I do get formally charged for it .

I except this was a really silly thing to do and all I can do now is get help and move on forward .

How long ago was your last letter – all rather weird as normally a company would call the police in straight away.

If it does go to court you should also highlight the mental anguish you have suffered whilst waiting for formal action, as this could be seen to be a punishment in its right.

Add to to this your gambling issues and the actions you have taken to address these and one would hope you would get a suspended sentence or community service at worst.

Spekz2018 WANTED $16
    Outlaw

Redcorvette wrote:

Spekz2018 wrote:

andywilliams1187 wrote:

First of all don’t worry mate, we have all done stupid things at some point.

How rrasonable is your employer? If you can ask him to drop the charges and tell them you will pay them back. If they prosecute its not the end of the world but yoy want to keep anythings of a future dbs check as a lot of companies carry one out these days so if you can stop it that would be a result!!!

Oh and don’t do it again hahaha

No employer is not willing to to drop it as they are wanting to make an example as to warn off other members or staff according to there letters I have received they have classed it as fraud as I was falsifying figures to cover up the missing stock.  The CRB check is going to be a massive issue if I do get formally charged for it .

I except this was a really silly thing to do and all I can do now is get help and move on forward .

How long ago was your last letter – all rather weird as normally a company would call the police in straight away.

If it does go to court you should also highlight the mental anguish you have suffered whilst waiting for formal action, as this could be seen to be a punishment in its right.

Add to to this your gambling issues and the actions you have taken to address these and one would hope you would get a suspended sentence or community service at worst.

Last letter was back on the 6th December was really dreading it before Xmas but luckily enough I accepted it and took each day as it comes . Like I say family have helped me massively and understood a lot as majority of them gamble aswell which got me into my first ever bet at age of 12 my grandad giving me the paper and pick out some horses.

I would suggest to anyone no matter how bad your situation is tell your family lifts a lot of your shoulders and your not carrying the weight of the world by yourself.

Redcorvette WANTED $19
    Spectator

OK so it has been almost a month since that letter, you have had no contact from the company, no contact from the police and at the moment are in Limbo.

My personal view is that you can’t go on like this, it may be that the company have decided that it’s not worth the effort and have just decided to drop it, but declined to inform you.

You may have to bite the bullet and ask them for an update, with full apologies, all due humility and highlighting the mental anguish it is causing you.

At least a formal answer, one way or another, will allow you to plan your life

Green2711 WANTED $492
    Outlaw

I’ve worked in retail for over 10 years now for both big companies, small franchise chains and independent stores. Each one has different policies but in general it all depends how much you ended up stealing, if it’s a small amount most companies will not prosecute they will just want you out the door however if it’s a large amount (£1000+) then they will probably pursue it. For smaller amounts it’s not worth the time and hassle but I’ve known some independent stores to prosecute for even the smallest amount merely to set an example to the rest of the staff.

Don’t feel too bad about it as long as you have learnt your lesson and try to address the fact that you are clearly a problem gambler. I got the sack from a large supermarket chain in my younger days after going on a staff night out and drinking far to much, got home around 4am and was spewing my guts up, had a quick wash and was in work for 5am on a 12 hour shift. I was single manning the Kiosk at the time and management and most staff didn’t get in till around 6-6:30. I was feeling pretty dizzy and light headed at the time so I ate a Wispa Gold to keep me going with the intention of paying for it on my break as we had to leave all personal belongings in the changing rooms but was spotted and caught on CCTV before my first break so the management whisked me away to the integration room to get a full confession which made me feel like the biggest piece of scum going. Most expensive bar of chocolate I ever paid for when I lost that income haha. Learnt my lesson though, that’s all you can do.

Mickeyvondickey WANTED $181
    Outlaw

I’d be surprised if the company pursued it. The negative publicity would hit them harder than the initial financial loss, especially as they’re a billion quid company. They might want to seem strict internally but I dont think they’d want it in the public domain.

Oh yeah, DON’T DO IT AGAIN! ??

needydog WANTED $17
    Outlaw

Just move on dude.

Deal with it if/when the police contact you. ALSO if they no evidence (CCTV) to prove what you did then don’t admit anything.

Anything under 5 or 10k (depending on area) they won’t even investigate at the moment. Businesses are a little bit different but aslong as it wasn’t robbery then you are 95% fine.

In a way you have had some good luck. Go get another job and get your head down lad .

I think this thread needs closing. No offense but most people who are replying either have no clue or you get that idiot who’s saying “this is stupid”

aims83 WANTED $0
    Outlaw

hi,

ive been in this situation well very similar except i quit the job amd moved away before i got found,  bought 5 months later it come to light. i was covering my tracks too well working there…anyway mine was into tens of thousands. i got 15 months sentence in jail for 4 tag for 4 i was lucky but it was the wake up call i needed amd withiut that id have ended up dead. i love gambling even still but i just spebd a budget. focus on what i enjoy which is horses and football and grt my slot fix off sites like this.

use it as a wake up call and find something to focus on good luck and tale care x

Spekz2018 WANTED $16
    Outlaw

Yep it is you do have to learn a lesson . Unfortunately it is significantly more than 1000 it is more near the 25000 mark only thing I could say is there is no cctv cameras that they could use as evidence so not to sure when I stand . But as I say I’m ready and willing to change and move on with the next chapter of my life

Spekz2018 WANTED $16
    Outlaw

Yes that’s correct no contact , I don’t know if I feel able to contact them as I would be too humiliated in all honesty haven’t really left my house to much as worried of bumping into people as the place I worked is right on my doorstep.  I guess the only way I could do it would be through email .

Manicmania WANTED $11
    Outlaw

I have some experience of this, although from the other side as have been in retail management for a few high turnover companies for a number of years. Firstly in the current climate, even billion pound companies are feeling the squeeze with regard to wage budgets so don’t be so sure that internal shrinkage on the kind of scale you are talking about will not effect other staff, individual stores in a larger chain are still expected to make profit, and lower profit has the knock on effect to wage budgets before ANYTHING with regards to cost cutting to make up budget shortfalls.

Not saying that to stick the knife in or anything, that is just a fact of retail. I’m glad you are trying to turn things around and are using this as a wake up call. From my experience, we have someone currently under investigation for multi thousands of pounds of refund fraud over about 5 years, the investigation has been ongoing for about 3 weeks and police have not been involved as yet as the companies profit protection team based at head office are still putting all the information together and trying to assess the scale of the fraud. Luckily the girl involved had already left and it only came to light because she got greedy in her final week.

Anyway the procedure that your company should have followed was for you to have been immediately suspended on full pay while the investigation took place. You then would have been invited to an interview with the company loss prevention team where you would be confronted with the evidence and decide if there is a case for you to answer. The next step would then be likely dismissal for gross misconduct and THEN the police would get involved/or not if the amount was not deemed prosecution worthy, this would generally be made known to the individual at the time of dismissal though.

Did your former company do any of this? as they would be required to follow a process even if you were literally caught with your hand in the till – suspension, investigation, disciplinary interview to decide if there is a case to answer, dismissal THEN police involvement of not. That may not be the case with small mom and pop stores but a billion quid company absolutely would have to follow this.

Sorry for the long post! With all that said I do wish you all the best and hope you get your life back together.

Stevie25 WANTED $254
    Outlaw

Redcorvette wrote:

Stevie25 wrote:

Depends on your wages imo, if you were on low/min wages then fuck them, yeah yeah come at me haters but if you are being underpaid then the employer is stealing from you.

In response to the initial poster I would suggest that if they had reported it to the police then you would have heard something by now.

In response to this post I have never heard anything so childish in my life.

Firstly an individual is aware of the salary when they take on the job, not getting as much as they want, or not being able to live due to gambling issues does not justify defrauding the company.

Secondly the company may be on a shoestring and employ other individuals.  By defrauding the company and reducing there profits this can be putting more than one job at risk.

To the original poster – not judging you, I don’t know the factors in your life which led to this, I am just highlighting the moral component, but I would reiterate that if any actions had taken place I am sure the police would have requested an interview by now.  As long as there was no theft involved and merely trading personal services I suspect you will be Ok

Don’t bite bro, it was a joke post….. Any adult knows theft is bad and that no matter how much you steal it ain’t ever enough.. Like the old saying if you ask a gambler if he would take a room full of cash, he would ask for a bigger room.

I also know the politics hence brexit, and its impossible for regular folk to make a decent wage nowadays especially if you live alone… I was born in the 70’s so have seen the decline in wages over the years while the stockmarket & profits gained, sometimes record gains with the banking crisis hitting US folk again.

I knew after posting that that it was bad & I shouldn’t troll ?

I’m glad to address it, and would have earlier but I been working Err out robbing the public with My light on… ? All night.

To address the poster, it all depends on (alough it’s not a serious offence atm, as long as its not over a certain amount, see a lawyer or use Google) it will depend on your age, record and drug/alcohol use (if any, known) and any criminal history and that’s If the police have time after chasing all the Known thief’s in the area(These are a priority) & drug related offences, basically if you live in a major city or high crime area your cool… ???Stay in a village your fucked ?.

It’s the worst to sweat it out, but try take a lesson from it, and don’t get caught the next time hahaha could resist that. ? Good Luck.

P. S. If you get a big enough win, pay that man his money back. It will help if charges appear. ?

Redcorvette WANTED $19
    Spectator

Stevie25 wrote:

Redcorvette wrote:

Stevie25 wrote:

Depends on your wages imo, if you were on low/min wages then fuck them, yeah yeah come at me haters but if you are being underpaid then the employer is stealing from you.

In response to the initial poster I would suggest that if they had reported it to the police then you would have heard something by now.

Firstly an individual is aware of the salary when they take on the job, not getting as much as they want, or not being able to live due to gambling issues does not justify defrauding the company.

Secondly the company may be on a shoestring and employ other individuals.  By defrauding the company and reducing there profits this can be putting more than one job at risk.

To the original poster – not judging you, I don’t know the factors in your life which led to this, I am just highlighting the moral component, but I would reiterate that if any actions had taken place I am sure the police would have requested an interview by now.  As long as there was no theft involved and merely trading personal services I suspect you will be Ok

Don’t bite bro, it was a joke post….. Any adult knows theft is bad and that no matter how much you steal it ain’t ever enough.. Like the old saying if you ask a gambler if he would take a room full of cash, he would ask for a bigger room.

I also know the politics hence brexit, and its impossible for regular folk to make a decent wage nowadays especially if you live alone… I was born in the 70’s so have seen the decline in wages over the years while the stockmarket & profits gained, sometimes record gains with the banking crisis hitting US folk again.

I’m glad to address it, and would have earlier but I been working Err out robbing the public with My light on… ? All night.

To address the poster, it all depends on (alough it’s not a serious offence atm, as long as its not over a certain amount, see a lawyer or use Google) it will depend on your age, record and drug/alcohol use (if any, known) and any criminal history and that’s If the police have time after chasing all the Known thief’s in the area(These are a priority) & drug related offences, basically if you live in a major city or high crime area your cool… ???Stay in a village your fucked ?.

It’s the worst to sweat it out, but try take a lesson from it, and don’t get caught the next time hahaha could resist that. ? Good Luck.

P. S. If you get a big enough win, pay that man his money back. It will help if charges appear. ?

likewise Stevie, apologies for my response – I bit. as the figure is around £25000 and the OP

is effectively unemployed and has instituted gamban and bookie exclusion his chances of paying the company back Must be pretty small.

its also akin to robbing the jewellery store, getting caught by the police and saying “ oh

its OK I’ll give it all back now you caught me”

Stevie25 WANTED $254
    Outlaw

Redcorvette wrote:

Stevie25 wrote:

Redcorvette wrote:

Stevie25 wrote:

likewise Stevie, apologies for my response – I bit. as the figure is around £25000 and the OP

is effectively unemployed and has instituted gamban and bookie exclusion his chances of paying the company back Must be pretty small.

its also akin to robbing the jewellery store, getting caught by the police and saying “ oh

its OK I’ll give it all back now you caught me”

Dang 25k is something the judge don’t like… ??

Yeah.. Everything’s a buzz in the moment, just ask William kassof ?.. Some people deserve everything & some got a gambling problem, I hope your ok Spekz, especially around xmas.. If you have not owned up to it yet, don’t start lol.. Seems with the info you’ve provided you might even have a case of wrongful dismissal but then again you wrote about it on the Internet & they might find these posts lol…

Good luck ?

MajesticEnd WANTED $22
    Outlaw

I’ll tell you a tale of my youth,

I worked for a security company guarding new high voltage cables that were been made and as such they had a lot of off-cuts of scrap copper.

anyway after working there a couple of months a couple of guys who worked in the factory came in and offered me a deal they took the scrap copper sold it and I pocketed some cash for turning a blind eye me been young (18 at the time and gambling everyday) though why not no one will notice.

this went on for 6 months and then one night the place was surrounded by police we got caught and I was released on bail for about a year then sent to court where I was found guilty and sentenced to 28 months in prison.

it is still by far the worst decision I ever made and luckily at the age of 33 now it’s all behind me but that time in prison taught me gambling doesn’t dictate your life you can walk away and live to see another brighter day in the future.

it’s taken me a long time to put that behind me and move on with my life but I’ve managed it.

Hope this is a stern reminder for anyone that steals to fund gambling…in the long run it’s not worth messing up your life for the sake of a few spins

fjudgee WANTED $8
    Outlaw

Well, i read the whole thread here now because im like 700 in for today with 2 bonuses…. on stakes betwen 0.60 and 1,40… Im Currently about 27.000€ down and as ive said i only play on “low stakes” up to 2€. Been gambling since i was 17 and now im 27 the 27k went down in the last 2 years, so far ive always found a way to get money for gambling and mostly it wasn´t a legal one. Im just glad nobody caught me but i think it will happen.

Anybody who is an the position where you can just quit gambling should better do it, there is no way you can earn the ammount of money your gonna lose.

Long story short, i just self-excluded me from any casino i was playing on, i just can´t stand this shit anymore. Im married now, got a baby on the way wich is gonna arrive in march, just moved in a new flat wich costs me a fortune and im sitting there and spinning the reels waiting for a hit wich is gonna pay my creditcard bill. If this isn´t stupid i dont know what is.

And im hating the way gambling is promoted these days ! Its everywhere you got commercials on youtube, tv, mobile games there are even posters of Mr.Green and Wunderino everywhere on the streets. I think the communication is completely wrong, gamling is the dumbest thing ive ever done in my whole life and ive done loads of dumb things. I dont care about the machines in pubs or even stationairy casinos they are not fun and they pay shit but online gambling is besides of social media the cancer of the century.

Still gonna watch the videos, cause the other streamers and youtubers are shit, and its nice to see that there is somebody winning on those fucking slots.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)