FOBTs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Bankieboy87 WANTED $13
    Outlaw

Just looking for some advice. I have signed up to Gamban so can no longer gamble online at all. It’s been great not having the temptation at the end of my fingertips 24/7. It’s probably the best decision I’ve ever made to be honest.

Now the problem is, FOBTs and physically going into the bookies. I know people will say you can self-exclude from the bookies but the nature of my job sees me in Inverness one week and Cornwall the next and everywhere in between so I don’t actually use a local bookies near my house to be honest.

These machines are popping up everywhere, Bookies obviously but also now pubs, hotel restaurants and motorway service stations to name a few.

My will power is absolutely terrible and I can’t help playing them wherever I am. I’ll stop at a service station for the toilet or a meal/snack and before I know it, I’ve stuck whatever’s in my pocket into these machines and end up going to the service station ATM machine (which charges you for your own money btw!!!) and am down about £50-150 before hitting the road again. Also a lot of my work finds me on busy high streets with 3-4 bookies within walking distance and I really really struggle to walk by without going in.

Anyone else face the same problems? And if so what did you do to overcome it.

Cheers

Bankieboy87 WANTED $13
    Outlaw
    Bankieboy87 WANTED $13
    Outlaw

I got lucky today getting a jackpot and another big win and ended up cashing out £900 from a motorway service station but this is extremely rare obviously…

mattywest11 WANTED $30
    Outlaw

Bankieboy87 wrote:

Probably not the best reply to a topic of somebody stating they struggle with willpower to keep off these toxic things, don’t think it was malicious but just a bit insensitive to the subject matter

ayma4quit WANTED $47
    Outlaw

Ignore Bankyboy87s reply mate, up there with the most inappropriate replies ever?

Can you try not to carry too much cash with you or just take enough for food/drinks etc and leave your card at home??…. The temptation usually comes for me when I’m actually “in situ” so if I haven’t got any cash, I literally can’t gamble.

Its a tough one bud, you obviously know you’re going to be tempted so the trick is, in my opinion, is when the temptation/urge strikes, be preprepared by literally not be able to succumb to the urges

Best wishes

Seedy WANTED $1,243
    Sheriff

Stay away from the FOBT’s they the spawn of satan them things.

Bankieboy87 WANTED $13
    Outlaw

Sorry guys, that pic was me replying to myself (I’m not great with technology). I was just showing the reason these things keep sucking me in, I’ve hit the jackpot on these things twice in the last 3 or 4 weeks and I’m still down in that time period so I’m certainly not trying to endorse them in any way whatsoever, I despise the things.

Ayma, thanks for your reply, the problem I have is that I go away to work for between 5 and 12 days at a time. In this period I eat in restaurants, play the odd round of golf, have a few beers etc, so the leaving the card in the house isn’t really an option for me.

I was recently on the boat to Belfast and found they have a whole section of the machines and (un)luckily just happen to have an ATM machine not far from them either. My idea of hell, trapped on a boat with these machines ???.

Haz40 WANTED $1,166
    Outlaw

Your in a very similar situation to myself. I’m on gamstop currently but my work takes me all over the country. I’m in a different town everyday. I simply have 2 rules. One i never ever take my bank card to work. Two i never have more than 10 or £15 cash on me. The difference maybe though i travel home every night. If your away for a few days in a hotel then you’d need a bit more cash than 10 or £15.

Malkychamp WANTED $485
    Outlaw

Not been in this situation myself but had an idea.

Set up a 2nd bank account when you are off working for however many days transfer the cash you need to that account and leave the main card at home. You would still have access to money but can’t then go overboard ?

ImperialDragon WANTED $68
    Outlaw

How about leaving your cards at home, but keep your phone on you so that you can use Android / Apple Pay?  The maximum spend is £30 so you can still buy food and top up your fuel.  It just means you can’t withdraw cash.

DEVIL4POSTER WANTED $55
    Outlaw

Malkychamp wrote:

Not been in this situation myself but had an idea.

Set up a 2nd bank account when you are off working for however many days transfer the cash you need to that account and leave the main card at home. You would still have access to money but can’t then go overboard ?

top advice this is what I have done in the past works a treat.

Winningbird WANTED $574
    Outlaw

That’s great advice, but you know how addiction works. Money or no money, a gambler will do what they do before thinking of the consequences. OP may think oh £10 won’t hurt out of my budget and then before you know it, the whole lot has gone, and they will be having to transfer money from one bank or another to be able to last the rest of the trip. The apple pay one is a good idea, providing all the shops accept it now, which I’m not sure they do. If a card machine is down too, you’re fudged.

Do you work alone or with someone? If you work with someone, could you not ask them to look after your card for you? The only other thing I can think of, is if you pay for hotels/accommodation in advance, plan for how much you’ll need for food, drink and petrol costs, and just take that amount with you alone. No cards, no extra cash, and that way, you know if you spend the only money you have on you, you’re screwed. Also, I know this wont put you off but think how low the RTP is on those machines. You’re probably going to lose on them. As you’ve said, you’re down even after those £500 wins.

Hope you find a way leave the FOBTs well alone, they all should be smashed up in my opinion, and bring back the £5 jackpot fruities. They were just as fun :p

Bankieboy87 WANTED $13
    Outlaw

Sorry guys, that pic was me replying to myself (I’m not great with technology). I was just showing the reason these things keep sucking me in, I’ve hit the jackpot on these things twice in the last 3 or 4 weeks and I’m still down in that time period so I’m certainly not trying to endorse them in any way whatsoever, I despise the things.

Ayma, thanks for your reply. The problem I have is that I go away to work for between 5 and 12 days at a time. In this period I eat in restaurants, play the odd round of golf, have a few beers etc, so the leaving the card in the house isn’t really an option for me.

I was recently on the boat to Belfast and found they have a whole section of the machines and (un)luckily just happen to have an ATM machine not far from them either. My idea of hell, trapped on a boat with these machines ???.

Bankieboy87 WANTED $13
    Outlaw

Couple of good ideas there thanks. I’ll need to set up that Apple Pay, I’ve never gotten round to it.

Sitting in a hotel in Bradford now trying to stop myself going a walk to find a bookies ?

Haz40 WANTED $1,166
    Outlaw

Bankieboy87 wrote:

Couple of good ideas there thanks. I’ll need to set up that Apple Pay, I’ve never gotten round to it.

Sitting in a hotel in Bradford now trying to stop myself going a walk to find a bookies ?

There not worth it mate. You know there shit and you’ll appreciate it tomorrow not going to find one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)