Feeling lost!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    inspect her gadget WANTED $21
    Outlaw

Some of you might remember I posted a thread a couple of months ago about changing my career after 20 years with Royal mail and becoming a bus driver.

Well after 8 weeks of instruction, testing and training I have quickly realised that it’s not for me!

Unfortunately I can’t leave as I would have to pay £2500 to cover the training I’ve received, money I just don’t have as I pay £900 a month on loans and credit cards due to 15 years of degenerate gambling! It’s approaching a year since I’ve gambled thanks to the Bandit and gamstop but I now feel trapped!

I’ve just been to see about a consolidation loan to reduce my outgoings but that’s a no go due to my credit score still being shot!

I hate the thought of going to work every morning but I think I’ll be stuck their for a while.

Has anyone got any advice?

Monito WANTED $26
    Outlaw

A consolodation loan for what? To pay the training costs? Don’t bother. Get down to the GP and tell them its depressing you and he could sign you off it on medical grounds and you won’t be liable for anything.

If that fails, get a DRO and clean all your debts for a mere £90 fee at the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Just to add, they can’t draw blood from a stone or make you feel trapped in something you don’t want to do. Long story short, tell them to shove it up their a*se.

Green2711 WANTED $492
    Outlaw

What is it exactly that you don’t like about the job matey?

In regards to the debts do you have a DMP in place or can you apply for bankruptcy to wipe them out if you feel like that’s the reason you can’t leave.

Outlaw

I vowed that I wouldn’t go down the bankruptcy route or DMP (I did look into it last year)….it’s my debt and I want to pay it back. Plus my family don’t know and I don’t want to blacklist them for years!

I can’t go on the sick as I would only get statutory sick pay, I’ve not been there long enough to get paid while on the sick!

Green….I just don’t like the pressure of driving to a tight timetable, I like to make sure I’m being safe especially being new!

Green2711 WANTED $492
    Outlaw

Ah fair enough I think you said that last time but I wasn’t sure if it was the same fella.

You sound like my kind of driver, everytime I get on an arriva bus heading to work the downstairs is always packed so I’m trying to get upstairs and it’s like being on the crystal maze or gladiator as the drivers always seem to drive like vin bloody diesel, honestly wish sometimes I’d take a tumble and put a claim in just to teach them a lesson tbh.

What would happen if you did things your way and they sacked you for not sticking to the timetables? Would you still have to pay the money back?

Monito WANTED $26
    Outlaw

inspect her gadget wrote:

I vowed that I wouldn’t go down the bankruptcy route or DMP (I did look into it last year)….it’s my debt and I want to pay it back. Plus my family don’t know and I don’t want to blacklist them for years!

I can’t go on the sick as I would only get statutory sick pay, I’ve not been there long enough to get paid while on the sick!

Green….I just don’t like the pressure of driving to a tight timetable, I like to make sure I’m being safe especially being new!

I understand, although the employer won’t give SSP, you would get Universal Credit payments until you were cleared to work again or found another job. Can you not find another job and leave it?

Also, the Debt Relief Order is not real bankruptcy. I believe its a type of insolvency, it only lasts one year and it won’t affect your family at all. You can select what debts to enter in to the DRO. It might be worth researching if you do decide to leave the Bus Driver training, at least you can clear the cost of the training perhaps. It was good that you followed an ambition of yours and kudos for doing it. Not everything works out as you expect sometimes but I hope your next move is a positive and fulfulling one!

Outlaw

Haha yeah I know what you mean, I’m sure some of them could beat the top gear lap time in their bus!

It happens quite alot that people stumble due to drivers braking and a claim goes in…..one of my biggest fears!

I’m not sure if I’d have to pay the money back or not if I got sacked but being unemployed isn’t really an option either! That’s why I tried to consolidate my debt so I could maybe pick up some low paying work until I got something better!

Monito WANTED $26
    Outlaw

Haha yeah I know what you mean, I’m sure some of them could beat the top gear lap time in their bus!

It happens quite alot that people stumble due to drivers braking and a claim goes in…..one of my biggest fears!

I’m not sure if I’d have to pay the money back or not if I got sacked but being unemployed isn’t really an option either! That’s why I tried to consolidate my debt so I could maybe pick up some low paying work until I got something better!

I’m sure if you were sacked then your employer would still say you a liable for the costs. If I was in your shoes I would either get a DRO and clear of all of my debts or go to the GP and get signed off, and then look for another job immedietely. If you are not eligible for SSP from work, then you can get it from UC with an advanced payment to keep you going. If you call or email a few employment agencies in your area you would be surprised that they generally have a lot of ongoing work in a variety of places which might suit you.

Stevie25 WANTED $254
    Outlaw

Yeah bro Driving the public around is tough, it takes a certain kind, you have to have eyes on the back of your head too… Best advice I can give you is Take your time & care and it will become like 2nd nature. Get a radio and tune out the noise. ?

Outlaw

Cheers Monito I might look into a DRO again on my next rest day, although it costs me £320 a week to run my house (mortgage, council tax, utilities etc) including my gambling debts of £900pm and I doubt universal credit will cover that until I get another job!

That’s what I’ve been doing Stevie but you can’t be slow and careful and keep the punters and gaffers happy! Never had an RTC yet but it’s bound to happen the more chances you take!

Monito WANTED $26
    Outlaw

Cheers Monito I might look into a DRO again on my next rest day, although it costs me £320 a week to run my house (mortgage, council tax, utilities etc) including my gambling debts of £900pm and I doubt universal credit will cover that until I get another job!

That’s what I’ve been doing Stevie but you can’t be slow and careful and keep the punters and gaffers happy! Never had an RTC yet but it’s bound to happen the more chances you take!

No problem. If you are left with less than £50 disposable income per month then I know that is one of the requirements for a DRO. Another requirement is that your total debts (including any legal fees) need to be less than £20,000.

UC will only pay your rent (if not living with a relative) and the standard living allowance (I think its around £310 per month). All your other debts are not covered by UC, they pretty much need to be put on hold.

I know you don’t want to let your family down but I am sure they would rather you take some form of action rather than being miserable and doing something you do not like.

Outlaw

I’m sure my family would support me but I vowed I would sort my mess out myself, I’m old school like that!

My total debt is currently about £22k so that might be a stumbling block!

My original plan was to pay off the 2 loans I have (2 and 3 years left) then get another loan to pay off my 3 credit cards so it was always going to be a long process but I had hoped to be earning well and enjoying my job!

Monito WANTED $26
    Outlaw

I’m sure my family would support me but I vowed I would sort my mess out myself, I’m old school like that!

My total debt is currently about £22k so that might be a stumbling block!

My original plan was to pay off the 2 loans I have (2 and 3 years left) then get another loan to pay off my 3 credit cards so it was always going to be a long process but I had hoped to be earning well and enjoying my job!

I see what you mean. I am sure if you made an appointment with Citizens Advice or even used their live chat I am sure they will provide you with the most practical solution.

andywilliams1187 WANTED $398
    Blocked

If it’s not for you mate would you not consider driving something else? Like doing the old dear journeys to the coast etc?

When driving, don’t ever let anyone bully you with a tight timeframe mate. Your the one driving and it’s your license on the line. You decide the speed you go, not some jumped up planner in the office. If they wanted to discipline you for driving slow, get the union in. There is no way that you can be bollocked for driving in a manner you deam safe, especially when carrying members of the public. If they keep on at you over it, tell them your going to VOSA and the transport commisioner

Stevie25 WANTED $254
    Outlaw

andywilliams1187 wrote:

If it’s not for you mate would you not consider driving something else? Like doing the old dear journeys to the coast etc?

When driving, don’t ever let anyone bully you with a tight timeframe mate. Your the one driving and it’s your license on the line. You decide the speed you go, not some jumped up planner in the office. If they wanted to discipline you for driving slow, get the union in. There is no way that you can be bollocked for driving in a manner you deam safe, especially when carrying members of the public. If they keep on at you over it, tell them your going to VOSA and the transport commisioner

Sound advice here Andy… ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)