Console game gambiling? Loot boxes etc

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jamie1872 WANTED $6
    Outlaw

Hi

I watched a video on You Tube by ASAP Science earlier and it was talking about you tubers promoting a mystery box site on their channels which main viewers are kids. They also mentioned that in America they have moved gambiling addiction to the same status as drug and alcohol addiction.

This got me thinking about console games that let you buy in game currency for real money which you can only spend on loot boxes or packs which you have no influence on what you get but you can increase the chances of getting better items by buying the more expensive option. I take it this isnt considered gambiling as I would have thought it would push all the age ratings up. I guess its because you dont actually get money back so you dont financially gain from it but still its a game of chance.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Seedy WANTED $1,243
    Sheriff

It’s not gambling as someone who games a lot for instance in Fifa you have the packs that you buy with random players in to build your team these are just loot boxes but are exactly the same as when I was a kid spending a fortune buying packs to fill my premier league sticker book or the more modern match attax cards.

The main problem is companies over pricing all these items as in each game extra look cool goodies like in fortnite cost a fortune like 7 quid to look like a dinosaur etc now if they released these new skins at say a quid it would be much more acceptable as they bring new costumes out weekly and then they disappear for a period of time and the kids that don’t get then as the parents don’t wanna pay that much then feel the odd one out when there mates have got them.

Long I know but meh!! ????

Malkychamp WANTED $485
    Outlaw

Seedy wrote:

It’s not gambling as someone who games a lot for instance in Fifa you have the packs that you buy with random players in to build your team these are just loot boxes but are exactly the same as when I was a kick spending a fortune buying packs to fill my premier league sticker book or the more modern match attax cards.

The main problem is companies over pricing all these items as in each game extra look cool goodies like in fortnite cost a fortune like 7 quid to look like a dinosaur etc now if they released these new skins at say a quid it would be much more acceptable as they bring new costumes out weekly and then they disappear for a period of time and the kids that don’t get then as the parents don’t wanna pay that much then feel the odd one out when there mates have got them.

In the early years of fifa ultimate team i did spend a fair bit on packs and had a brilliant team was still shit at fifa though lol. Was great at the time then the next fifa comes out the following year and you realise what a waste of money

thunderball6 WANTED $272
    Outlaw

Seedy wrote:

It’s not gambling as someone who games a lot for instance in Fifa you have the packs that you buy with random players in to build your team these are just loot boxes but are exactly the same as when I was a kid spending a fortune buying packs to fill my premier league sticker book or the more modern match attax cards.

i did steal off my mum and dad to buy stickers for them panini books , very addictive they were

Green2711 WANTED $492
    Outlaw

I would say that buying packs in Fifa is a form of gambling instead of the chance of winning money back your paying for the chance to try obtain a rare card that is worth more than what you paid for the pack. Personally EA introducing packs in the game like a TCG was a stroke of genius the revenue they must make just from ultimate team and I know a fair few people that spend ridiculous amounts of money on buying packs.

As for micro transactions I really can’t stand them…I’d consider myself an old school gamer but I don’t play much anymore and micro transactions are part of that reason. You used to be able to spend £40 on a game and get everything included with that one off purchase. Nowadays you buy a game then you have to pay for new maps that are released, battle passes and everything else. I can see why they have done it but it’s at the expense of the gamer sadly.

Jamie1872 WANTED $6
    Outlaw

Yeah I take the point about the sticker book collecting and think my opinion is based on more the cost of the packs now. I know my cousins spend a fair bit on Fortnite but I think thats all skins etc so no chance issue involved.

Talking about Fifa does any one think that scripting/momentum existed? I got Fifa 19 this after a few years of not playing Fifa . To be fair I havent played it for ages but one of the previous versions i made a team of silvers and the odd gold player from a tip online. I felt my team played better in games when I should have got destroyed.

Stevie25 WANTED $254
    Outlaw

The main thing that calmed down my gambling was the gaming, I play a game called throne & you could spend thousands on it.. Tbh prob have but enjoy the craic & it’s addictive and usually I account for £10/20 a week as it keeps me buzy when working…. ?

Over 2 years at it.. Helped a lot honestly. But you need self_control ?

I’m a addict, everything is fucking addictive to me. ?☕?

Green2711 WANTED $492
    Outlaw

Same mate I used to play Hearthstone which is an online card game for those who don’t know and easily tossed a few thousand at packs every time a new expansion was released. Even when I had the full set I was buying packs just to disenchant and get the “shiny” versions of the highest rarity cards. Eventually gave it up as it was costing me a bloody fortune and I have absolutely no self control when it comes to things like that. ?

MichaelLFC96 WANTED $114
    Outlaw

Fifa is wank man, that’s a company who focus more on the money than the product itself.

The game is absolutely diabolical this year but there’s been more promotional cards than ever before.

PLUS now by law they must show the pack odds, and when you see the most recent TOTY promotion, their most expensive pack is £20 and your chance of getting a TOTY player was listed as less than 1%. It’s just totally fucking wrong.

Stevie25 WANTED $254
    Outlaw

Green2711 wrote:

Same mate I used to play Hearthstone which is an online card game for those who don’t know and easily tossed a few thousand at packs every time a new expansion was released. Even when I had the full set I was buying packs just to disenchant and get the “shiny” versions of the highest rarity cards. Eventually gave it up as it was costing me a bloody fortune and I have absolutely no self control when it comes to things like that. ?

I’ve managed to stop with packs atm, and wait for specials.. There good for the price and come out like every Dt Patrick’s day, halloween etc… But the 1st year I was bad lol.

Ramm WANTED $32
    Outlaw

Seedy wrote:

The main difference being that as a kid if you had a lot of duplicates you could swap for ones you need but in stuff like overwatch the duplicates are converted into a few pennies of their virtual currency. You wind up having to get a great many duplicates just to afford yourself another shot at getting what you are after.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)