Back In A Mo – The Slot Game

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    argyl53 WANTED $419
    Outlaw

Little update for today: this morning I’ve added a better visual effect to the spin button when pressed, added effects sitting in the background for later; one for Bandit’s Wonky Wilds where it swaps random symbols for wilds, plus another for the scatter symbols when a bonus is triggered. Added Auto play button and made it work. Cleaned up a couple of minor bugs. Added credit amount and bet size (currently fixed at 2 credits but will be adjustable in final game), added check for sufficient credit to make the spin. Added a text box container for game messages (e.g. insufficient credit, total bonus win etc.)

Biohazard WANTED $675
    Outlaw

Once it’s finished, get all the providers into a bidding war for the rights to it… it’ll be in high demand with Steve’s face on that’s for sure.

argyl53 WANTED $419
    Outlaw

Ha, I actually did have a quick look in to how much it’d cost me as a sole trader to get a gambling software licence, application and  annual fee comes to about £10k 😮

I guess we’ll be sticking to fun mode or some “technically it’s not gambling” competition.

argyl53 WANTED $419
    Outlaw

Interesting just on the basic 3-stack reel layout I have right now to see how often you get things like near-misses, bonus mega teases, little wins just blocked on one reel from being huge etc. – all those little things it’s easy to get so tempted in to thinking must be pre-determined or deliberate for a wind up. Turns out they very much do happen just on chance.

groundiskey WANTED $62
    Outlaw

Nice job @argyl35,
    after seeing your post I might start working on mine again.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BdDnjRkFW-s/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

argyl53 WANTED $419
    Outlaw

@groundiskey looks good! What’d you build it with?

Need Steve to record some lines for a Backinamo slot. It would be great to have his voice saying some familiar and memorable lines, e.g. when you land the scatters he says “I’m gonna jump right in, grab myself a bonus”

groundiskey WANTED $62
    Outlaw

@argyl53 cheers,
    GameMaker Studio and Adobe Illustrator for the artwork.

argyl53 WANTED $419
    Outlaw

Nice, I’m a bit of a cheapskate (I mean, supporter of open source) so I used Inkscape and Notepad++.

Eightblack WANTED $446
    Outlaw

How difficult is it to make little slot? I’d love to have ago although I only have a pretty basic knowledge of programming and stuff

Eightblack WANTED $446
    Outlaw

The Bandit wrote:

Haha looks good mate, i look a little bit tidier when my hair is cut… maybe you could silhouette this one instead lol

I must have been having a shit day though, still a moody fucker haha

You look like you’ve just had a zero bonus after 1000 spins ?

Good pic though bud you look so different with that hair

argyl53 WANTED $419
    Outlaw

Eightblack wrote:

How difficult is it to make little slot? I’d love to have ago although I only have a pretty basic knowledge of programming and stuff

Answer is easy or hard depending on what you design and how you decide to build it. There are zero programming game making toolkits you could use, or you could do it in Flash, or HTML5, Unity, Java…the possibilities are endless. Decide what you want it to run on/as (is this a mobile app, a web app, etc.?) Then you’ve got all the different options for graphic design and the choice between 2d or 3d.

But I would say building a simple slot is a fantastic little project to teach yourself a bit of programming and game development. If you go for it, start with a simple 3 reel, 1 win line one-arm bandit style as that will be the easiest whatever technology combination you choose.

argyl53 WANTED $419
    Outlaw

Today I’ve discovered from an analysis of Danger High Voltage that it works in a surprisingly similar way to the slot I’m developing (or perhaps not surprising, seeing as what I’m doing is just what strikes me as logical as a programmer). A huge list of numbers gives a representation of the reel sets used by the game, where each unique number represents one of the symbols. The game server sends back to the client the starting (top) position of each of the reels in this list for each spin. This is exactly what I’ve done for my game. So DHV will say for example, for the result of this spin reel 1 starts with the symbol in position 18 at the top (meaning the game will display to you positions 18, 19, 20 and 21), and so on. I can see they’ve chosen a symbol stack to set up their RTP which uses frequent repetitions of 4 of the same symbol (as that’s how many symbols high their reels are) along with some break-ups to tune the likelihood of wins – I used stacks of 3 on my initial reel design. The start position is obviously chosen randomly on the server side. This shows you how the probability of hitting winning combinations and bonuses can be calculated, purely from the distribution of symbols.

Developing my own slot has been so far a fascinating insight. It’s amazing to see how purely random starting positions on a design reel set can result in so many of the scenarios of teases and near misses we’re familiar with as players.

Also, if anyone cares, each of DHV’s reels is 177 symbols long.

Haz40 WANTED $1,166
    Outlaw

argyl53 wrote:

Today I’ve discovered from an analysis of Danger High Voltage that it works in a surprisingly similar way to the slot I’m developing (or perhaps not surprising, seeing as what I’m doing is just what strikes me as logical as a programmer). A huge list of numbers gives a representation of the reel sets used by the game, where each unique number represents one of the symbols. The game server sends back to the client the starting (top) position of each of the reels in this list for each spin. This is exactly what I’ve done for my game. So DHV will say for example, for the result of this spin reel 1 starts with the symbol in position 18 at the top (meaning the game will display to you positions 18, 19, 20 and 21), and so on. I can see they’ve chosen a symbol stack to set up their RTP which uses frequent repetitions of 4 of the same symbol (as that’s how many symbols high their reels are) along with some break-ups to tune the likelihood of wins – I used stacks of 3 on my initial reel design. The start position is obviously chosen randomly on the server side. This shows you how the probability of hitting winning combinations and bonuses can be calculated, purely from the distribution of symbols.

Developing my own slot has been so far a fascinating insight. It’s amazing to see how purely random starting positions on a design reel set can result in so many of the scenarios of teases and near misses we’re familiar with as players.

Also, if anyone cares, each of DHV’s reels is 177 symbols long.

How many bonus symbols on each reel on dhv just one ?

argyl53 WANTED $419
    Outlaw

Ha, good question! Seems to be different on each reel if it’s the number representation I think it is, but I haven’t analysed it far enough to be sure. There are nigh-on 20,000 lines of code in DHV’s main program.

Haz40 WANTED $1,166
    Outlaw

You’d think if there were different amounts of bonuses per reel there would be more on the first 3 reels therefore increasing the probability of a tease. I was working out if there was only 1 per reel and 4 winning symbols per reel per spin  the odds on a mega tease would be approx 2000 to 1. 44 x 44. (177 divided by 4) and the odds of a mega tease landing at 11 to 1. ( 4 reels therefore 4 chances at 44 to 1 remaining) If you had the information you can work out the odds on getting the bonus or on average the amount of spins.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)