A great gambling read

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Hacko1 WANTED $181
    Outlaw

If anyone is into reading about gamblers I highly recommend Devil fish’s autobiography, it’s a great read his gambling stories are brilliant and to get banned from every high st bookies he was obviously doing something right.

andywilliams1187 WANTED $398
    Blocked

I read his autobiography a while ago – it was quite interesting especially his trips to vegas etc

Hacko1 WANTED $181
    Outlaw

It taught me to take my time about horse racing bets, it’s all about the handicaps if you have the time to read that is, bottom weight favourites in handicaps is what I look for.

Kingpab WANTED $149
    Outlaw

Yeah that’s a good read, anyone who gambles bad should also watch the Steve Coogan film  Sunshine. Brilliant

Hacko1 WANTED $181
    Outlaw

Love Steve coogan Dan Dan Dan Dan.

Ive not seen it but just watched small trailer on YouTube, lol I’ll have to watch it when the wife’s gone to bed.

Stevie25 WANTED $254
    Outlaw

If you liked Dave Ulliotts book take a look at Stu Ungur book

The best gambling stories ever…. His gin rummy stories are awesome, the pool game with the best gambler in Vegas & his exploits at the wsop are phenomenal… Then there’s the cash games…. Mafia bosses, Vegas hoods & Doyle Brunson all feature, with the kid. ❤️?

Philinvicta WANTED $12
    Outlaw

Not a book but I recommend a movie called Let It Ride for the Bandit to watch, with Richard Dreyfus and Robbie Coltrane.  Barney Curleys book is a very good read.

Stevie25 WANTED $254
    Outlaw

Hard eight is also a good gambling film with a dark side ?8⃣8⃣ ??

blacko1974 WANTED $248
    Spectator

Philinvicta wrote:

Not a book but I recommend a movie called Let It Ride for the Bandit to watch, with Richard Dreyfus and Robbie Coltrane.  Barney Curleys book is a very good read.

Agreed. Barney Curleys book is a great read, One of racings shrewdest characters.

Anonymous WANTED $483
    Inactive

Not ever been a big reader.

Are there any good gambling films or documentaries that you guys recommend?

Always loved watching Tony G vs Devil fish on poker after dark. They abused eachother like fuck! It was hilarious.

If you get time just type Tony G vs Devil Fish on youtube you wont regret it haha

Stevie25 WANTED $254
    Outlaw

Just Basics wrote:

Not ever been a big reader.

Are there any good gambling films or documentaries that you guys recommend?

Always loved watching Tony G vs Devil fish on poker after dark. They abused eachother like fuck! It was hilarious.

If you get time just type Tony G vs Devil Fish on youtube you wont regret it haha

Louie Theroux has a decent Doc, as always he’s pretty good in it, with some high roller on the slots in Vegas & blackjack…

The best movie ever for me was Rounders with Matt Damon, John Malkovich and Edward Norton.. Johnny Chan has a small appearance ?

Mississippi grind is also OK and owing Mahowny is a must watch along with The Sting with one of the best card screens ever imo.

The hustler too, old but great movie and The Cooler.

Enjoy ?

Btw The devilfish had a old Documentary made about him from years ago, its hard to find, could be on YouTube.

Found it for you…

StuartK91 WANTED $27
    Outlaw

Stevie25 wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Kind-Worlds-Greatest-Player/dp/074347659X

The best gambling stories ever…. His gin rummy stories are awesome, the pool game with the best gambler in Vegas & his exploits at the wsop are phenomenal… Then there’s the cash games…. Mafia bosses, Vegas hoods & Doyle Brunson all feature, with the kid. ❤?

Stu ungar is the best multi game player there has ever been. Got staked by (ahem)  in the wsop 97 and won it. Died a year later and had nothing left which is sad when he was so gifted.

Anonymous WANTED $483
    Inactive

Ta mate. Yeah ive seen the Theroux doc and rounders, gonna give the others a watch though….cheers 😉

Stevie25 WANTED $254
    Outlaw

StuartK91 wrote:

Stevie25 wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Kind-Worlds-Greatest-Player/dp/074347659X

The best gambling stories ever…. His gin rummy stories are awesome, the pool game with the best gambler in Vegas & his exploits at the wsop are phenomenal… Then there’s the cash games…. Mafia bosses, Vegas hoods & Doyle Brunson all feature, with the kid. ❤?

Stu ungar is the best multi game player there has ever been. Got staked by (ahem)  in the wsop 97 and won it. Died a year later and had nothing left which is sad when he was so gifted.

Hi Stuart ? Yeah Stuey was the best ever gin rummy player to this day, he could remember Atleast 6 decks of cards, took bets doing so (see Mike Sexton) and went on to become the best at the time No Limit hold’em tournament player, unfortunately he was not remotely good at other versions of poker like Stud, seven card Stud or the High Low games which a number of players mentioned in the book took advantage of his Gamble, he had balls of steal.

Billy baxter was at the time 1 of the most respected gamblers in Vegas and sponsored Stueys last 2 wins, his tournament wins to this day have never been beaten as every MTT he entered he either won and some odd occasion he finished 2/3, alough there was not that many tourneys at the time its still recognised as the best.

Nowadays with the help of Internet poker and maths, many players would be as good, some say he would have adjusted as he had sick reading skills and still been the best, tbh it’s hard to dispute, playing live poker ofc. ?

No one beats him at Gin rummy, no_one. ?

Mike Sexton who commintates on pokers WPT events was his friend. And a good source of info about Stuey.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)