World Autism Awareness Week

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    1pstaker WANTED $25
    Outlaw

Next Monday (1st April) marks the start of the annual Autism Awareness Week. As a father to an 8 year old Autistic son, I know first hand the ups and downs of living with someone with this condition.   Work have kindly allowed me to host an event at 3 of our sites in London on 3 different days, as I feel just getting the message out there is important, as it is a condition that so many still do not know much about. My wife and some of her friends are also partaking in the nightwalk on 6th April to raise money for the National Autistic Society. I dont know if anyone else on this forum lives with someone who has Autism, or if anyone has a young one who they think might be on the spectrum. There are no right or wrong answers, but if anyone ever wants to talk about this, feel free to message me privately. Lastly, just by putting this up, I feel I have done that little bit to raise awareness, so thanks for reading

Parko87 WANTED $2
    Outlaw

Hi my name Ryan I have a 9 year old son that we are goin though the prosess  of ASOS a long waiting game too get my son diagnosed with autism .. he has his good days and bad day more Bad than good too Be honest it is very hard tryin too explain too him why he can’t go play with his friends and stuff it is a daily struggle night time was deffo the worst but now he is on melatonin too help him settle and sleep At night time .. he is great same as all my Other children we try live normal life as possible everyday is a new challenge but we are gettin there slowly but shorly nice too hear your story mate and good luck too u in future

1pstaker WANTED $25
    Outlaw

Parko87 wrote:

Hi my name Ryan I have a 9 year old son that we are goin though the prosess  of ASOS a long waiting game too get my son diagnosed with autism .. he has his good days and bad day more Bad than good too Be honest it is very hard tryin too explain too him why he can’t go play with his friends and stuff it is a daily struggle night time was deffo the worst but now he is on melatonin too help him settle and sleep At night time .. he is great same as all my Other children we try live normal life as possible everyday is a new challenge but we are gettin there slowly but shorly nice too hear your story mate and good luck too u in future

Thanks for reading and replying Ryan. I sincerely hope you get the diagnosis situation sorted out. We had a nightmare with Melatonin, as our borough in London was the only one who would not prescribe it in liquid form. Thankfully, it was something he grew out of needing, although we all have to go to bed early to get him to go to bed lol. Living ‘normally’ is what we try to do as well. We try never to deprive him, even though we know certain situations are going to cause us problems. Good luck to you too mate, I hope everything works out for you and your family

Haz40 WANTED $1,166
    Outlaw

Please excuse my ignorance on this topic as i know very little on the subject of autism. I know a couple of members in the past have spoke of the difficulties on this and i can only read and try and understand. Thanks for making people like myself aware of this.

1pstaker WANTED $25
    Outlaw

Haz40 wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance on this topic as i know very little on the subject of autism. I know a couple of members in the past have spoke of the difficulties on this and i can only read and try and understand. Thanks for making people like myself aware of this.

Thats the main point of this thread. Its amazing how many people know so little. Appreciate you taking the time to read and to comment. Thanks Haz

Hacko1 WANTED $181
    Outlaw

Morning 1p hope you are well mate, last year I did a bathroom refit for a family whose child was autistic, I was there for just over a month and over that period the lad aged 12 slowly began to trust me and communicate with me through conversations about computers and games, this lad was so smart and to watch him navigate through games whilst listening to a running commentary just for me was just well mind blowing.

i had in-depth conversations with the mum about his autism and she explained in great detail the challenges that they had faced and overcome.

I felt very honoured that this lad chose to interact with me which according to his mum was a very rare thing for him to do and it made my day every morning when I went in and he greeted me with a good morning and conversations about his computer games.

i wish yourself and your family all the very best for the future.

Thisgirl2019 WANTED $121
    Outlaw

Hi,

As some people will be aware I have a beautiful 3 year old girl who has autism.

We are both still learning how to cope with different triggers she has and it’s hard doing that and looking after her twin and 2 younger siblings on my own.

Id love to talk to someone who has experience in this as I still have so many questions and often ask myself if I’m doing the right thing in the hard times.

People who have no direct experience don’t understand that even leaving the house is a challenge for my little one, wind, rain, dirt, sounds, music, and so much more effect how she deals with the outside world.

I wouldn’t change her for anything and just want to learn how to help her and to be the best mum I can be.

Ps she’s just learnt to jump ? which is a massive milestone for her! The happiness is all that matters to me ?

Thanks for reading guys

Bry x

Eightblack WANTED $446
    Outlaw

One of my closest mates is autistic be it only mildly on the spectrum, he’s a computer programmer and by far the most intelligent person I’ve ever met, he can watch a documentary and be able to relay in perfect understanding everything he learnt from it even years later..

I’m really glad that far more awareness is out there these days, when I was in school 15years ago there where a few autistic people and the teachers made no real effort to explain to the students what it meant, these days im happy to say that its not the case ?

He was educating me on kangaroos the other day from something he read, did you know they have two penises and two wombs so when food is low they can pause the pregnancy in a holding womb until it gets better then they start up again ? who knew ??

1pstaker WANTED $25
    Outlaw

Thisgirl2019 wrote:

Hi,

We are both still learning how to cope with different triggers she has and it’s hard doing that and looking after her twin and 2 younger siblings on my own.

Id love to talk to someone who has experience in this as I still have so many questions and often ask myself if I’m doing the right thing in the hard times.

People who have no direct experience don’t understand that even leaving the house is a challenge for my little one, wind, rain, dirt, sounds, music, and so much more effect how she deals with the outside world.

I wouldn’t change her for anything and just want to learn how to help her and to be the best mum I can be.

Ps she’s just learnt to jump ? which is a massive milestone for her! The happiness is all that matters to me ?

Thanks for reading guys

Bry x

There will be a lot of trial and error with regard to triggers, at that age its difficult to know them and avoid them. I would be happy to talk to you about it, though not sure if I could put my email address here for you? (Can someone advise if thats ok?)  Also, google Contact A Family, they been a great help to us down the years and I am hopeful they will have a branch near you as they quite widespread. Have you spoken to anyone about schooling yet?

1pstaker WANTED $25
    Outlaw

Hacko1 wrote:

Morning 1p hope you are well mate, last year I did a bathroom refit for a family whose child was autistic, I was there for just over a month and over that period the lad aged 12 slowly began to trust me and communicate with me through conversations about computers and games, this lad was so smart and to watch him navigate through games whilst listening to a running commentary just for me was just well mind blowing.

i had in-depth conversations with the mum about his autism and she explained in great detail the challenges that they had faced and overcome.

I felt very honoured that this lad chose to interact with me which according to his mum was a very rare thing for him to do and it made my day every morning when I went in and he greeted me with a good morning and conversations about his computer games.

i wish yourself and your family all the very best for the future.

Heart warming story mate, communication such a major thing for Autistic children. I had a similar experience at a holiday camp once, where a kid was hogging the toaster, and his mum asked people nicely to not go near him. I managed to strike up a chat with him, and for the rest of the week he would not cook his toast unless I was there!!

Thisgirl2019 WANTED $121
    Outlaw

1pstaker wrote:

Thisgirl2019 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for reading guys

Bry x

There will be a lot of trial and error with regard to triggers, at that age its difficult to know them and avoid them. I would be happy to talk to you about it, though not sure if I could put my email address here for you? (Can someone advise if thats ok?)  Also, google Contact A Family, they been a great help to us down the years and I am hopeful they will have a branch near you as they quite widespread. Have you spoken to anyone about schooling yet?

Yes she starts nursery for a couple of morning sessions in April and will be having 1 on 1 care, she has an Early years team involved! I’d love to talk about everything so if you could somehow contact me that would be great!

1pstaker WANTED $25
    Outlaw

Is someone able to advise how I could possibly pass my email address onto someone else please?

PeachyMike WANTED $41
    Outlaw

Eightblack wrote:

One of my closest mates is autistic be it only mildly on the spectrum, he’s a computer programmer and by far the most intelligent person I’ve ever met, he can watch a documentary and be able to relay in perfect understanding everything he learnt from it even years later..

I’m really glad that far more awareness is out there these days, when I was in school 15years ago there where a few autistic people and the teachers made no real effort to explain to the students what it meant, these days im happy to say that its not the case ?

He was educating me on kangaroos the other day from something he read, did you know they have two penises and two wombs so when food is low they can pause the pregnancy in a holding womb until it gets better then they start up again ? who knew ??

That 2 wombs thing is interesting, and makes sense, but what’s that 2nd penis for? I can think of a few things, but can’t really see it being for that , Kangaroos can’t be that filthy  ? ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)