why is gambling so hard to stop

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DEVIL4POSTER WANTED $55
    Outlaw

basically I want to give up gambling forever , but my wanting to do it couldn’t come at a worse time. I have three jobs and my full time job keeps messing up my pay although I know I’ll get it £300/400 missing every month from my wages makes me want to gamble to make it up rather than waiting or chasing it up. my family have lent me a bit to cover the short falls but I didn’t tell them til recently  and now thats an extra bill to me and the stress of it all is driving me crazy any advice ?

Winningbird WANTED $574
    Outlaw

If you’re in the UK sign up to gamstop. If you’ve signed up to gamstop and are worried about finding sites that aren’t with it, download gamban. If it’s the bookies, go in and self exclude with them individually. I know it’s hard but it will be worth it if you’re worried about your spending  good luck 🙂

DEVIL4POSTER WANTED $55
    Outlaw

thankyou for your kind words. addiction initself isn’t my problem its not earning what I should and anxiety that causes me problems. I really appreciate your response thou 🙂

PsychicSnail WANTED $111
    Outlaw

I think gambling is hard to stop for many reasons. Firstly and most obviously it’s addictive, and addicts are suffering from a genuine mental illness (imo).

Less obvious is that it “kills” you very slowly. Drinking and smoking are very similar in that one more fag/drink, one more day of addiction doesn’t really do any measurable damage. It’s years of the stuff that finally takes its tole. The gambler doesn’t usually wreck their lives through one night of stupidity. It takes years for friends, then spouses and finally parents to eventually have enough. Years of abuse before finally the selfish behaviour drives them to the divorce courts, leaving them alone in life, with the only company left being “friends” down the betting office and on sites such as this.

Sadly it’s often only when they are face losing everything that they finally accept they have a problem and start the road to recovery. I have a background in psychiatry and have pretty well seen the whole gamut of mental illnesses. I would rate gambling addiction and alcoholism as the two of the most difficult to beat and very similar in their destructive potential.

Haz40 WANTED $1,166
    Outlaw

Unfortunately i can tell you first hand it’s not a good idea to gamble when your earning less. About 15 years i was easily earning 4 figures a week. Every year for the next 8 years i earnt less. I’d go to the bookies before during and after work. I ended up selling a business which i was been paid for weekly. I chose to piss about and practically blow every penny trying to make up the shortfall putting myself in further financial hardship. It took me took me years to bite the bullet and leave the work i was doing and ended with a normal job. I took out several business loans over the years and gambled it all. Eventually seeing sense in nov 2011. i don’t earn half what i did and don’t have the disposable income and still have the occasional gambling blowout but nothing like i used to be. I think sometimes we just have to accept changes in our life whether they are good or bad.

DEVIL4POSTER WANTED $55
    Outlaw

thankyou pyshic snail and haz, i really appeciate the relpies.I’m 37 and have woked all my life have gambled away 500k in my time but always managed to keep an ok standard of living, god knows how. last month I won 17k which could easily have more than changed my life around … I gambled it away. to me it isnt the money I’m looking for something I have lost I think or feel I have lost family wise, life changes as you said , true. and it takes time to adjust to that. I’m 37 and have gambled properly since 7 yrs old. I studied psychology and have friends who work in menatl health as well as I have personal experience of family members with issues so I kno what ur saying pshich snail. when I was young I was a good saver . I have always managed to find lots of money my family are good savers but dont find money like I do, but I I know this “game” and know its time to quit.

DEVIL4POSTER WANTED $55
    Outlaw

psychic snail I can totallt relare what ur saying I said pretty much verbatim to myy friend yesterday about it being slow in taking one over

DEVIL4POSTER WANTED $55
    Outlaw

thing about gamblers; is a big percentage, supposedly, they have mental health issues, and they are the lost children with no social welfare to facilicate the required needs. and gambling is insidious. people on forums like these only tend to speak when they are either in dia straits and want a hand out as a last shout out in desperation, and have hit rock bottom. All the previous being said I personally believe these people just need support in the right place at the right time which I don’t see the being done by the organisations that are able to do it. I reckon that most of the people you have gambling issues could be really successful in achieving their dreams given the right environment. :). I’m thinking of writing a book , “how I made a million pounds gambling by writing a book” lol

DuffMan WANTED $3
    Outlaw

I signed up for gamban on November of last year and at first it was hard to resist the urge to gamble but soon I realised that gambling wasn’t the problem the problem was me and my need to escape the reality of life I was living. We all dream of the big win to set us up for life in reality the money really means nothing it’s the adventure that you have with it that’s fun so I started having my own adventures that didn’t cost me the price of a Ferrari or a Bentley. I started revisiting my childhood doing the things I wished I could do once I was older, going walks down the beach or going to the town on my own simply because I was old enough now. We forget the child dreams we once had as a youngster and replace all those forgotten dreams with new dreams but now we are older our dreams come at a big price. I stopped worrying about money and stopped feeling guilty about not having it. your in debt, I’m in debt, we are all in debt and no matter how much we try to dig ourself out the rut we are in we end up digging deeper. All I can say is let go of the dream of hitting big and getting rich and you’ll find things will come to you rather than you chasing after it. All work and no play isn’t good for the soul, find some time to chill and stop worrying over money. Your young and life is what you make of it. You want a good life? Make it a good one. You want to gamble? You gamble. Your in control of your own destiny don’t look back and regret your decisions. Be strong ??

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)