Need your honest opinions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Realwhiskers WANTED $23
    Blocked

Evening all,

This post may sound abit weird, abit of a follow on from my other about problem gambling. Wanted to ask/get opinions off people, honest ones too, as a follower of the gambling community and the Bandit, opinions from you guys and girls would be a massive help.

So I’m 23, alot of people will know from my previous threat I was addicted from 15, seeked help last few years and now because of things like GAMSTOP I’m sorted. Sometimes have a small £10 deposit dabble, but that’s it. Once every few months maybe.

So, I accumulated nearly £20,000 of debt at around 20 years old. Now I’m in about £9000 roughly. I work full time and hard for my money, unfortunately literally every penny other than maybe £6/£7 a week goes on bills each week when I get paid, I live like a hermit, but appreciate it’s my previous addiction that got me into this situation.

It’s sad because, I’ve learnt so much, shame it took that much pain and misery to learn what I have. Unfortunately I have quite bad depression now too, probably from being my age and not being able to live a normal young adult kind of life.

Anyway, I’m considering making a JustGiving Page/Gofund me, might sound abit silly and maybe it is. A friend suggested it. I’m not expecting to get out of debt from it, just hope that maybe some generous people in this world might donate, allowing me to have some social time etc.

It’s sad, pre addiction I had such dreams of saving money to travel etc, I’m at this age and haven’t got a thing to my name, all my friends at my age all driving and getting a house/moved out and I’m still living at home with nothing, quite sad I made the choices I did in my younger years. Still, it’s my fault and oh boy have I suffered the consequenes!

Anyway, sorry for a long post, and I just wanted to know people’s opinions, maybe it is a silly idea and a lot of you may think “Why donate to this idiot” which is perfect valid and your opinion! Thought I’d ask the community first before I think about doing it! 🙂

All the best, and have a good night!

Marky mark WANTED $15
    Outlaw

Hi mate, there’s probably a lot of people in the same boat, l was. I can only tell you what worked for me. If tomorrow you somehow got all the money you need and payed off all your debts and got yourself sorted, how long before your back to the same problems you have now, not long, been there done it. It took me around 5 years to pay off most of my debts and a long time for people to trust me again, but mate it felt good. I still gamble but no more than 10% of my income, l now can go on holidays and do normal things that people do. Am not saying its easy, as a gambler we always look at the easy way out of trouble instead of the best way. Things may look bleak just now, but theres light at the end of the tunnel. focus, stay strong and take one day at a time. Goodluck mate.

Realwhiskers WANTED $23
    Blocked

Marky mark wrote:

Hi mate, there’s probably a lot of people in the same boat, l was. I can only tell you what worked for me. If tomorrow you somehow got all the money you need and payed off all your debts and got yourself sorted, how long before your back to the same problems you have now, not long, been there done it. It took me around 5 years to pay off most of my debts and a long time for people to trust me again, but mate it felt good. I still gamble but no more than 10% of my income, l now can go on holidays and do normal things that people do. Am not saying its easy, as a gambler we always look at the easy way out of trouble instead of the best way. Things may look bleak just now, but theres light at the end of the tunnel. focus, stay strong and take one day at a time. Goodluck mate.

Hey mate! Thanks for your reply.

Sounds like you was in the same boat. I completely agree with what you’re saying, me about a year ago anything I got would have gone straight back to gambling.

I can happily say now, I’ve changed, every penny I get goes on paying my debts, which I’m happy and proud of. Been paying them off for 3 years now, and it’ll take another 3 years to pay them all off. Sad, 6 years of my prime gone!

Ironic thing is, the reason I properly started to gamble around 19ish was to try fund my passion and to earn money to travel, oh how that backfired! Wish I knew what I did now, back then!

I think the main thing affecting me now with my debt, is the depression. Really gets me down, to the point in most recent months sadly quite suicidal thoughts. Seeked help, and nothing seems to have worked, unfortunately. Suppose hence why I wrote this post, people’s opinions. Just wish I could press restart and have all this behind me, so I can start having fun and look back and just laugh.

robthemonk12 WANTED $15
    Outlaw

Just keep going one day at a time mate. Just something as simple as going for a walk can be great for you – clears your head. And 23 is young still. I never went abroad until I was 26! Also, writing stuff down somewhere like this I find is really, really good. You have supportive people who may of been through similar. All the best.

Realwhiskers WANTED $23
    Blocked

robthemonk12 wrote:

Just keep going one day at a time mate. Just something as simple as going for a walk can be great for you – clears your head. And 23 is young still. I never went abroad until I was 26! Also, writing stuff down somewhere like this I find is really, really good. You have supportive people who may of been through similar. All the best.

Hey mate!

Thanks for your reply fella. I do try stay active and do stuff, keep my mental state abit better. All helps! Just not currently working, unfortunately. But hopefully it’ll get there!

Still young yeah, luckily! Just feel sad that from 19 mainly to now (And 3 more years) I’ve done nothing. Sad I can’t drive, move out, travel. Just because a previous mistake and addiction! Yeah, good shout, I try to keep interactive and talk to people in the same boat/community. Helps alot!

Just made a page, probably pointless and stupid! Wish me luck! 🙂 https://www.gofundme.com/help-fund-my-travels-please-read&rcid=r01-153073913578-d4568280af0d4c93&pc=ot_co_campmgmt_w

nostromo332 WANTED $18
    Blocked

this is why the max stake in bookies is being lowered. FOBS. Although I could name it something completely different. Best thing is to only take money that you need to buy things and leave your cards at home. So you can’t overspend. Change what you do in your spare time. Keep away from bookies etc and anything that can draw you in. After a few months it will all be better. It’s willpower over mind.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)