Messed up badly… Not sure what to do next

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    LilPope WANTED $1
    Outlaw

Preface: I am not begging for financial support or expecting sympathy as I know I deserve none. This is entirely my own fault, I am purely looking for advice on what to do next.

On Thursday I received my first pay from my new job, including a rather large bonus – the most I have ever earned in a month. Less than 24 hours later, every single penny of it was gone. I did not pay a single bill, I did not spend a single penny on anything other than gambling.

I’ve never done anything like this before, I’ve never even understood how people manage to do it, I’ve always had a budget and stuck to it. And yet here I am. With bills to pay including my rent, and not a single penny to my name. I genuinely don’t know what to do and I’ve never felt so low and ashamed in all of my life.

My plan so far is:

– Tell the missus (The part I am absolutely dreading the most)
    – Self exclude myself from any gambling website I am registered with
    – Register with GamBan
    – Block gambling transactions with my bank

Which is kind of just a prevention plan, and doesn’t really do much to help my present situation.

Does anybody have any advice at all? Be it financially (how to get emergency funds with terrible credit, how to deal with telling people I won’t be able to pay them, etc.) or just mental health related… how on earth do I deal with this? How do I even begin to explain to my partner what I’ve done? I haven’t slept a wink and I just don’t know what to do with myself.

Dc39 WANTED $74
    Outlaw

The best advice is to change your ways and retrain the brain and try forget about all aspects of gambling, that includes watching videos, going on forums, its a personal opinion but I don’t for a minute believe people can stop gambling and get the buzz out of someone else winning.

Also if u tell your wife/partner the trust will be the hardest thing to gain, share all the details with her and explain its an addiction, let her see u go on gamban, go to ga meetings, they are a lot better than forums etc

Best of luck 🙂

Biohazard WANTED $675
    Outlaw

Hey @LilPope, thanks for sharing.

First of all, I’m sorry that you’ve gone through this. I think most people here can appreciate and empathise with you. Whether the loss was down to tilt, greed, addiction, it’s certainly a situation that we’ve likely all been in at some point, so you’re absolutely not alone.

If you want to avoid this happening again, because it will happen again if you continue to gamble, then join Gamstop if you’re in the UK. Feel free to join Gamban as well, but Gamstop is by far the best system for blocking yourself, and it’s very easy to sign up.

Regarding your partner, I’d echo the post above. Explain to them everything, be completely open and honest with them, and explain what measures you’ve put in place so they have confidence it won’t ever happen again. Trust is so important, and it’s such a fragile thing. Manage this the right way.

Financially, once you’re Gamstopped (if), then perhaps try and get some credit to pay your priority bills. If you’re credit rating won’t allow this, then try and approach your or your partner’s families to try and get some short term support. Do you have any savings? This could be a good time to use them.

No one on here, most likely anyway, is a financial advisor, so I should probably suggest you try and obtain professional advice. Stepchange may be a good start and they can set you up on a repayment plan with your creditors if needed, or work through a more appropriate solution with you.

It’s absolutely not game over, and you’ll get passed all of this. Just make sure you learn from the experience. 🙂

Briners09 WANTED $16
    Outlaw

This won’t be the last time your in this predicament if you don’t follow this advice; stop gambling, self exclude from any and everywhere you can gamble, find some new hobby. I know lots of people on here love the videos and say that it helps them not gamble, for me this is utter shit!!! For me, these are promo vids for “what could happen to you” win win win, the cold harsh reality of slots is that the big wins are few and far between, when they come they erase all memory of losses and so the spiral continues. So, stop watching slot vids cos 99% of them are big wins or “close calls” where streamers/content makers come close to a massive loss and seem to pull a massive win out of the bag at the last moment. I hope you get past this life hurdle but please stop and self exclude it’s the only way. Good luck ?

Xbobmad WANTED $729
    Outlaw

Briners09 wrote:

For me, these are promo vids for “what could happen to you” win win win

So what are the ones where there are huge losses? Promo videos for shredding money?

Apps1 WANTED $1
    Outlaw

Have a look for credit union lenders. The rates are usally reasonable and the credit checks are usually only to see if you are in a debt management schemes, mostly the repayments will come out straight from your wages. The company you work for might have one

SlotsCrack WANTED $62
    Outlaw

Reading a story like this is already messed up in the first place. But why dont we look at the behaviour of games and what makes you or another go tilt like that. Completely irresponsible capturing your mind just like that, overthrowing any logic or reason or what’s beyond mature. That’s what gambling is these days for you. Stay the fuck away from these games dude. They are designed and crafted carefully to hook your mind and suck you dry.

Run187 WANTED $28
    Outlaw

Tell your wife and get help. The hardest part will be admitting it to her, I would also be having her manage the money and would not give a toss

what anyone said about it .

Register with gamban etc and self exclude yourself from every site..

mullecg WANTED $6
    Outlaw

You’re at rock bottom now so from here it’s only up. Just remember this moment and how you never want to feel this way again.

Maybe keep a personal diary of your day to day achievements and when ever you feel the urge it’s something you can look back on.

LCA81 WANTED $24
    Outlaw

Dc39 wrote:

The best advice is to change your ways and retrain the brain and try forget about all aspects of gambling, that includes watching videos, going on forums, its a personal opinion but I don’t for a minute believe people can stop gambling and get the buzz out of someone else winning.

Also if u tell your wife/partner the trust will be the hardest thing to gain, share all the details with her and explain its an addiction, let her see u go on gamban, go to ga meetings, they are a lot better than forums etc

Best of luck ?

I agree totally that you need to have a total clean break, that’s what I struggle with, staying around forums watching videos is not a good idea

SweFjorod WANTED $10
    Outlaw

As I’ve been in your position as I was an active gambling addict before, the best thing you can do is talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk and then talk some more.

Tell your partner what has happend, do NOT try to hide it, it will backfire in the end anyway, you need to talk to her, talk to your family, talk to your boss, talk to a stranger, the best way to help yourself is to talk about it, trust me, it’s the only thing that really helps.

If you want to talk to a stranger (me in this case) you can send me a pm on Discord (it’s an app for both mobile and pc): SweFjorod #8200

I know where you are, I’ve been there, more than once and I tried to hide it from everyone and I ended up in the same situation again and again until my former girlfriend finaly confronted me and I confessed that I had an addiction and could work with myself to cure it.

Yes I gamble today but it’s over 20 years sience I confessed to myself that I had a problem, and today I have a budget IF I gamble, I never gamble just when I get my pay, and the end of the month (just before next pay) I see if I still have extra cash left, then I can use some of it to gamble, after that I freeze my account for next month so I don’t get the “urge” to gamble again.

STH2020 WANTED $38
    Outlaw

It is not going to be an easy situation to get through. I still gamble to this day but went exactly what you went through at one stage, and it is not fun, but there is a lot you can do from it happening again as mentioned above.

Loans for bad credit ratings are really really bad, they have stupidly high interest rates and do not help get out of the hole you have created,  I would turn to these as a very last resort, but first speak to your bank for an overdraft etc, if not look to friends and family who could help on a short term basis, you would be surprised how many people are willing to help if you ask.

Good luck getting it sorted.

D3sp3rado WANTED $36
    Outlaw

I wouldn’t lend money to a gambler, if people know your situation they’ll be rightly wary.

BSK1 WANTED $48
    Outlaw

That’s all great advice but I had a similar situation before and found attacking ice cream men was quite an easy way to make money…. Ok before everyone jumps on me saying it’s morally wrong and against the law I know I know.

that aside the summer months are coming and my mate Tugboat has the ice cream van schedule as he’s always chasing him down the street.???

let me know how it goes and what your weapon of choice is ?

Tpritchard WANTED $34
    Outlaw

BSK1 wrote:

That’s all great advice but I had a similar situation before and found attacking ice cream men was quite an easy way to make money…. Ok before everyone jumps on me saying it’s morally wrong and against the law I know I know.

that aside the summer months are coming and my mate Tugboat has the ice cream van schedule as he’s always chasing him down the street.???

let me know how it goes and what your weapon of choice is ?

And these ice cream vans will be loaded with cash once lockdown is lifted I might come and join you ?, gave me a good laugh reading that

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)