Broken Phone Advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Spekz2018 WANTED $16
    Outlaw

Good Morning Fellow Bandites ,

Iknow theres a lot of helpful people and very clever people on this forum.

Was wondering if anyone had any experience in fixing screens on Samsung mobiles.

Went to my local shop and was quoted £230 for screen replacement as the screen is cracked and is flashing green and white , was wondering if this is the going rate or if anyone could maybe do it for cheaper on here thanks in advance for any help .

TheVajinator WANTED $9
    Outlaw

My neighbour is tech-savvy and fixes stuff in his freetime, he bought all the stuff needed to fix phone screens for around 280€ since he was outraged when they asked him similar price to yours to fix his Huawei smartphone screen and now he just offers his services on Facebook for around 50€-80€, so I’m guessing you’re either getting ripped off or it’s the only business around that can offer services like that. But then again I’m from Lithuania and prices are way different here.

Mr B WANTED $395
    Blocked

I’ve fixed a few over the years including iphone and samsung however, what that means is you could do it yourself.

1. if is just the glass and not the screen, do NOT try to fix it, there is a 75% chance you will break the screen when removing the glass as they are bonded. This is the only cheapest way and can literally cost as little as a few quid.

2. Find out how much a replacement screen is for your phone model. (What model is it ?) There are ebayers who have 100% reviews who do send out proper tech.

3. I’d be shocked if your samsung doesn’t have a full on tutorial on youtube for replacing your screen.

the first I learned the hard way. 2 & 3 is exactly how I have fixed various phones, not only for replacing screens. batteries etc. Also, you may find the quote is a rip off or you may find it’s fair as some screens are just stupidly expensive while others can be as little as £15

Izattm WANTED $18
    Outlaw

Going rate for a smartphone screen replacement depending on model is between 40-100 pounds from a local tech store.

Spekz2018 WANTED $16
    Outlaw

Thanks Mr B ,

I did look on ebay for a new screen and thought I would try it myself as what have I got to lose as it not working properly but  im not sure exactly on what I need to buy , the actual screen is broken not just the glass it flashes white and green all the time which makes phone unusable.

I have a Samsung galaxy s8 , looked at the video and if im honest I wouldn’t have the tools to do it myself and im quite heavy handed so ould probably end up smashing it up lol .

But thanks for the reply.

Hey Iz where abouts are you based as I would definetly be willing to pay between them prices .

Spekz2018 WANTED $16
    Outlaw

Many thanks for the advice I believe it seems a bit steep myself I have not been further afield looking at different shops but there is 3 in my area and I believe they are all owned by the same person so maybe he owns the monolopy .

Xbobmad WANTED $729
    Outlaw

Spekz2018 wrote:

Many thanks for the advice I believe it seems a bit steep myself I have not been further afield looking at different shops but there is 3 in my area and I believe they are all owned by the same person so maybe he owns the monolopy .

Full screen replacements for the S8 are £150 on eBay. I wouldn’t say that £230 fitted and working is steep to be honest. Don’t forget that a business has bills to pay, staff to pay etc. You could buy a screen and do it yourself and damage the new screen in the process…

Mr B WANTED $395
    Blocked

Most screens come with the tools needed to fix them, small screwdrivers, pry tool, sucker etc. The big issue is the process of removal or any parts screws etc but you have to be very careful with ribbon cables and other delicate parts. Check out a youtube tutorial and then check another. Vet the comments on each to make sure others recommend it as doable and maybe easy. Like xbobmas says above, it is possible to make matters worse. You just need to be 100% comfortable that you can do it without risk.

Dune2000 WANTED $205
    Blocked

My current record is 3 Iphone screen replacements attempted, 2 cables severed whilst doing it and one poorly put back together Iphone.

Not sure if the Samsung is any easier

Pawel_PJ123 WANTED $10
    Outlaw

Well, I cracked a screen on my phone once, it was a LG G5, i believe- repair was quoted at about 180eur, so i bought the screen and necessary tools on ebay- long story short, the glue was not as strong as I expected and there was always a 0.1mm gap between new screen and the frame, I couldn’t make it go away although i tried to reassemble a couple of times.

A week or so after the final repair, cheap chinese ebay screen cracked again in my pocket 😀

My advice would be to let a professional do it or just get a new phone, at the end I have wasted 80 eur and still had to get a new phone.

Stevie25 WANTED $254
    Outlaw

If you go online at Gearbest. Com you’ll get a Huawei phone for around £110/£150… Or the latest phones for around £2/300 that’s what Id do rather than stick to overpriced Samsung or I phones ?

Mr B WANTED $395
    Blocked

Stevie25 wrote:

If you go online at Gearbest. Com you’ll get a Huawei phone for around £110/£150… Or the latest phones for around £2/300 that’s what Id do rather than stick to overpriced Samsung or I phones ?

Only problem with that aside from the hassle of long delay deliveries, stoppage and charges at customs for anything valued over 30 odd quid is the returns on faults make it impossible and a complete waste of money. Best advice is to find a uk vendor who does the importing and covers that cost, which you still pay pretty much but without the time frame and returns are viable. eBay is somewhat full of 98-100% rated sellers.  Amazon has them too.

This is my current phone which literally cost me £4 when i sold my Maze Alpha after buying this second hand with one crack in the back case.

Elephone S8 – 10 core 4GB Ram – 64GB Rom 21MP camera. I paid £165 for the maze alpha and sold it for £100. This is way better. Granted, it has some minor issues but I’m not david bailey the same as 95% £1000 phone users and it second hand with a crack in the back, it certain is a goldmine at 10% of the cost. Originally £240 ish, from a UK vendor.

Stevie25 WANTED $254
    Outlaw

Mr B wrote:

Stevie25 wrote:

Only problem with that aside from the hassle of long delay deliveries, stoppage and charges at customs for anything valued over 30 odd quid is the returns on faults make it impossible and a complete waste of money. Best advice is to find a uk vendor who does the importing and covers that cost, which you still pay pretty much but without the time frame and returns are viable. eBay is somewhat full of 98-100% rated sellers.  Amazon has them too.

This is my current phone which literally cost me £4 when i sold my Maze Alpha after buying this second hand with one crack in the back case.

Elephone S8 – 10 core 4GB Ram – 64GB Rom 21MP camera. I paid £165 for the maze alpha and sold it for £100. This is way better. Granted, it has some minor issues but I’m not david bailey the same as 95% £1000 phone users and it second hand with a crack in the back, it certain is a goldmine at 10% of the cost. Originally £240 ish, from a UK vendor.

I’m not to sure about these issues you speak of Bud, but I’ve returned 2 tablets, got replacements within the 6 weeks and never paid more than the price that was advertised…. The issue with Gearbest is that you need to register, I’ve had more hassle returning goods to UK shops than these boys tbh. I’m not denying that these issues exist but I’ve never experienced them….. Can you post any negative reviews from gear best for me because me and my brother use them frequently ????

What I like about Gearbest is you can track your product like amazon.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/gearbest.com

Mr B WANTED $395
    Blocked

Stevie, I am talking about (should have made this clear) ordering from the likes of aliexpress and so on where the returns are directly to china. If your gearbest orders had to be returned to china and they paid the postage and fixed up your product or refunded, then that’s amazing and I am pleased for you.

Stevie25 WANTED $254
    Outlaw

Alixpress is alibaba and is also a great place for stuff…. my advice is to stick to huawei as there great products…. cameras on these phones are superb..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)