Bandit’s slot education thread

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SwingLowSweetBallbag WANTED $2
    Outlaw

Loving the regular videos and the bonus buys although perhaps a more cogent strategy should be employed. You are betting blind in terms of the volatility and expected returns distribution. IMHO the slots shouldn’t allow people to do that because that’s not how any other form of gambling works – you get odds at the bookies, table games, roulette and lottery but no odds on slots for bonus buys

Not all bonus/super bonus buys are the same. Some are massively volatile and often return < 20% stake, sometimes dick all, others are more reliably in the 50% range. SOME slots by some provides will give you some indication of the odds. The NLC game The Border states the max win is 44288x and your odds of getting the max win from any given spin are 44,000,000-1, yes, that’s 44 million to one. If you buy the bonus by inference your odds of a max win from a super bonus are increased by a factor of roughly 1,000 per spin and you get 10-15 spins, so it might be reasonable to say the odds of a max win are somewhere in the region of 4,000-1 if you buy a super bonus. The max win of 150,000x on San Quentin is 2,000,000,000-1 on base spins, that’s TWO BILLION to one. By inference on super bonus your odds of a max win are somewhere in the region of 75,000-1.

You did start adjusting your stakes somewhat to match what you would normally pay for a bonus (i.e. 100x on £2 or £4 stake or £200-400) but I feel as if you still don’t really understand the risks you are taking, not about how much money you might lose but whether or not you are likely to get 10% back, 20% back, 50% back, etc.

The super bonus on the not very good NLC games Karen Maneater and Serial are not the same as the super bonus on San Quentin or Mental. Even though San Quentin and Mental cost a lot more to buy the reason for that is they very rarely return dick all. San Quentin is pretty reliable in the 50% range so you can buy at £800 and expect the majority of the time to get a minimum of £200 back (rare), most likely you will get £400 +. The odds of San Quentin returning a big win (10,000x +) are actually pretty low to compensate for how regularly it gives back 50% stake. Mental is similar but a touch more volatile in that sometimes it will return lower amounts but the odds of a big hit are higher relative to San Quentin

Then you have games like Das xBoot which on the super bonus will often return basically nothing but on the flip side it’s very possible to get 5,000x + hits on that game. A game like the new Pearl Habor appears to be more akin to Mental than Das x or Serial, i.e. Pearl Harbor might occasionally only return 100x on the super bonus but you have a fair chance of getting something 5,000x +

Then you have what are relatively speaking low volatility slots like BTG on the Golden Catch (a great wee game, right?) which always seems to pay something even if it’s only 20x, usually it’s more in the 40-80x range

Are the bonuses you’re buying the same as if you just spun them in form the base game? Well, not exactly but for all practical purposes, yes they are. Although someone has commented on YouTube that the RTP on bonus buys is less than the regular game, this is actually not true. The RTP on super bonuses is the highest RTP offered by the game – e.g. the RTP on San Quentin base game is 96.03% but the RTP on the super bonus is 96.95% RTP, which is a significant difference. You might ask why is the RTP higher for bonus buys? The answer is because they are absolutely brutal and are increasing the amount of money you are putting through the machine and thus your volatility. The slot providers can comfortably afford to increase the RTP for buys when you are effectively doing 100 spins (or 2000 spins in San Quentin super) with a single click. They are making money hand over fist on buys

The main difference between buys and spins is if you get a regular bonus by spinning it in and you get 80x you think, “yea, that’s alright”, but when you buy at 100x anything less than 100x is a fail and 50x makes you wanna spew. When you think about it those 100x + bonuses don’t come about all that often on the games that cost 100x to buy. If you are curious about how these sorts of games play over the longer term you should check out FruitySlots and BBW (Bonus Buy Wednesdays). You will see on multiple occasions they have done dozens (perhaps 50 or more) buys on 100x games and not returned a profit. The same is true for other streamers on the rare times I’ve watched them but I really only watch Fruity of the streamers who can do bonus buys

In summary you really need to think carefully about the stakes you are playing on each game relative to what you can expect to return. In all honesty your balance (£4,000) was nowhere near large enough for the stakes you were playing on some of those games. At the end of the last video you just threw your hands up and wanted to break even or bust but before that you were still taking very large and totally blind risks, which was pretty much a guaranteed ticket to bust town

Relative to how you play when being conservative (£1.60-£3/spin in base) you should be reducing your stake to 50p-£1.40 (£300-£1000 buys) on the super bonuses, especially on the super volatile games. It should go without saying you should have some idea of the risks you are taking and the expected returns before you buy. You’ll only get that with experience or by watching others play. Even some of the regular 100-150x buys can be brutal and amazingly volatile (e.g. Chaos Crew or anything Hacksaw). They will often return £20 from a £258 (£2) buy. It’s not a huge issue to reduce the stakes as if you do get a decent hit on Chaos Crew or Das x the win is going to be 5000x or more. Even 50p super bonuses can return £10K (more than double your £4K starting balance) without pushing the boundaries of what is achievable. You CAN get those sorts of wins if you are doing hundreds of buys but you aren’t going to be able to afford to do hundreds of buys if you keep playing like you have been, unless you want to start loading up £10K like you’re doing a Reel King session!

That was a lot of words and I apologise and I doubt you’ll read it as we both know that reading instructions is tantamount to an admission of homosexuality. If you do read it I hope it was clear and will make doing bonus buys more sustainable going forward. People definitely do enjoy the bonus buys and you can look at other content providers for proof – Bonus Buy Wednesdays is probably the most popular thing Fruity does along with slot battles, which is pretty much the same thing as they only show bonuses and no base spins. As always the main draw is the story and the narrative of how the session goes. Risking thousands is plenty good enough for entertainment value, it doesn’t have to be tens of thousands, which is probably unrelatable for most people.

Smoothoperator WANTED $48
    Outlaw

Yes I agree, lower the stake for super bonus buys. There I said it in 10 words!!😂

Seyahkram1977 WANTED $697
    Outlaw

Smoothoperator wrote:

Yes I agree, lower the stake for super bonus buys. There I said it in 10 words!!😂

Ha legend….

farahtrousers WANTED $22
    Outlaw

Seyahkram1977 wrote:

Smoothoperator wrote:

Ha legend….

tl:dr

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)