A gamblers story…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tyketkd WANTED $8
    Outlaw

Born in a seaside town I started going in arcades aged 10 (forty years ago!) the lights and sounds were amazing. I remember how easy it was to lose track of time with the artificial light made you think it was daytime. I would gamble (lose) my pocket money every week! At school I would buy dinner tickets from fellow pupils who got free school meals, this would mean I had a lunch and had half my dinner money for slots. I would steal cash from family to play the slots. I used to walk up and down the seafront into every arcade for hours hoping to see a unattended nudge feature or coins in the pushers.

Soon fiddling the machines became my passion, I would steal circular knitting needles for the plastic wire to rack up credits or the 50p change machine. Foil trays to cover 10p coins to make them into 50p or roll 10p coins with electrical tape. Invariably the police were called when I got caught and parents not too happy. I got barred from my hometown arcades so bought a train season ticket so I could travel 20 miles down the coast for their arcades! Eventually got caught there too and my dad had to drive to pick me up from the police station, I escaped with a caution. The thing is I never bought anything with the money, it always went back into the machines so it was pointless really!

Eventually I left school and started work and used to go to the pub, we would go on a pub crawl however I was always having to catch them up as every pub we went into I would get bogged down on its bandit! I never stepped into a bookies because for some reason sports betting never appealed to me so luckily I avoided FOBTs. Unluckily for me online gambling appeared and before I knew it my salary was going in and not much coming out so I got used to going to the bank on payday and making sure I withdrew 500 cash so when I lost what was left in account I still had some cash left until next payday.

I’m pretty sure I could have bought a nice house with the cash I’ve blown over the years. My parents never gambled but my uncle shot himself after gambling losses on roulette cost him his business and almost home however my aunt managed to keep it after paying for the rest of her life. Ironically I’ve just had my biggest slot win (£26456) on Videoslots on Dragonfall and uploaded it here, paradoxically after hitting that win I fell as though I have accomplished something in my brain and currently have no desire to lose the cash as it has been a lifetime coming. Anyway hopefully you stayed awake to read some of my gambling story-Good luck to you all 🙂

DrSnow WANTED $6
    Outlaw

Hello mate,

Mine is similar although I was brought up in gambling family.   What do you thinks going to end up happening to a seven your old kid who was kept quiet at weekends, whilst everyone went out, with said kid picking his own horses, on form and jockeys, and putting 5p ew yankees from his own money via his Uncle or Grandad??

If it wasn’t racing it was queuing up to play the bandit in the Social club and then playing bingo.  I had about 8 schools as a kid (my dad was military) and was pretty lonely so ended up in the arcades.

I still have a borderline gambling addiction coupled with a borderline drinking problem but I’m on top of those for the moments.  Sometimes I feel like asking my Mam – what the fuck were you thinking – but I don’t.

I’ve gotten into running and trying to get really fit, it’s helping.

Guffleshuffle87 WANTED $60
    Outlaw

DrSnow wrote:

Hello mate,

Mine is similar although I was brought up in gambling family.   What do you thinks going to end up happening to a seven your old kid who was kept quiet at weekends, whilst everyone went out, with said kid picking his own horses, on form and jockeys, and putting 5p ew yankees from his own money via his Uncle or Grandad??

If it wasn’t racing it was queuing up to play the bandit in the Social club and then playing bingo.  I had about 8 schools as a kid (my dad was military) and was pretty lonely so ended up in the arcades.

I still have a borderline gambling addiction coupled with a borderline drinking problem but I’m on top of those for the moments.  Sometimes I feel like asking my Mam – what the fuck were you thinking – but I don’t.

I’ve gotten into running and trying to get really fit, it’s helping.

I genuinely hope you get a hold of those two vices mate. Running is a really good thing in my opinion. Once you’re going out for a run daily, you get a bit of an addiction for that too (but it makes you live longer). My upbringing had some similarities. My dad and pop would say “come her lad, and pick a horse in this. If it wins you can keep the winnings. I’ll put a pound on it for you” or if we were in the pub “here you go mate, here’s a few Bob go and see if you can win on the machine”. All innocent and kind gestures, but those things definitely rooted the addiction for me.

I worked in a massive social club which has £250 jackpot bandits in them in my late teens. I’d put my wages and my tips in them to try and Jack them. Occasionally I would hit it,and all that did was make the bug worse.

When I was a young adult I discovered online slots…that was when things got real. I remember being 19 and winning £3,600 on a monopoly slot (can’t remember which one). I had a full line of the speccy guy. That single win made me realise (believe is a better word) that big money is readily available. Since then I have had a few big wins, but a lot of heavy losses that outweigh the wins since day 1 of gambling. When I had my daughter I got a much better grip on things. Every time I’d win I’d think “that’s a weekend away with the girls” or “that’s a new toy kitchen for the baby”. And when I’d spunk a couple hundred down the drain with nothin to show I’d think “that was the baby’s Christmas presents I’ve just blown” or “I could’ve used that money to go on a trip to the zoo with the baby”. Thoughts like that stop me putting more in the devil and stop me trying to push my luck when I’m ahead.

The things that have never helped my addiction are the big wins. They have just shown me I can do it and I chase it again and again. I used to sneakily go on the slots during the workday at my old firm. I remember loading bust the bank during a shift and because I was trying to play on the sky I didn’t pay attention to my stake and played £3.60 spins and hit the fat orange robber across on the bonus and won about £4,000 on that first spin during work. Couldn’t really focus for the rest of the shift because I wanted to play. I hit a £7k win on rhino the first time I ever played it after watching hypa and I won £15k on extra Chilli two years ago. I gamstopped for a year after that, and I’ve had a lot of big losses that make those wins a drop in the ocean.

Play within your means and stay healthy, but it is very hard to change your ways when you’ve gambled since being a kid. It roots in deep!

SlotsCrack WANTED $62
    Outlaw

If you want to lessen up, quit gambling, or whatever reason you can think to like spend less on this ‘expensive’ hobby, really just replace one habbit with another. It’s so simple. Getting through it is more the hardest part, but if your willing to, really, anything is possible.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)