William Hill – 700 Shops to close

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Seal WANTED $1
    Outlaw

First time post ever, so be gentle.!

And huge apologies if its more a rant .

Fobt’s and betting shops.

No one in their right mind will not see the symbiotic relationship these have. Every high street with at least one of the big bookies some with multiple. We have all seen it.  Next door but one , and so on.

The stake reduction isnt enough. Just remove them.

The so called success of new betting shops and job creation is 100,% down to the four ‘golden geese’ of fobts in each shop.

Personal experience is one of complete disaster and life changing debt. Ultimately a complete idiot ,   but wrong time wrong place in life to have experienced these terminals and hope others wont be suckered in like myself and ten of thousands if others. So yeah. Just remove them.  Go back to bookmaking days. . Gutted for the staff, but the majority of counter staff I have chatted too, this is based again on personal experience,  hate working in them. Often very short term basis. Like a stepping stone in a job experience ladder. But never long term. Some really nice staff will say in a concerned manner, “go home when youre up” or just a quick “are you ok”. Wanting you not to do your tits in, and blow your wages in half an hour.

This no doubt goes against the bookies policy of offering you a brew or sign up deal so they can keep you playing.

But like I said , majority of counter staff have zero interest in the industry, hate the long boring hours,and seek better employment. (In my local shops.)

I hope they can find something better. I really do. But Fobts need to go.

Im sure there will be a few who reply that they make a living from them, and can profit 500 a day from roulette or slots, but really!!

And im just another fool who cant control my gambling. Well im working on it.

But long live the Bandit online, great vids, catchphrases, and honesty. And good luck to everyone  on the forum. And anyone hit with the shop closures, but remember. Youre employers are profiting on the poor and vulnerable. And they know it. They knew this was coming and are fudging it up brexit style in dumping staff. Stick to bookmaking odds on traditional sports. Simples.

Gecksy WANTED $17
    Outlaw

Betting shops used to be great places full of characters and like minded individuals enjoying a chat about the racing and football and a bet.

FOBT’s ruined them almost overnight, nobody was talking any more instead everyone was glued to these poxy machines and lads that used to enjoy a 50p lucky 15 were suddenly doing £100 a spin every 30 seconds

Yes will power should play a part but this was pure exploitation. £100 max spin every 30 seconds and the most you can win is £500?! Good riddance

Izattm WANTED $18
    Outlaw

While I do believe it is a good thing the machine stakes have been reduced and thankfully at this moment in time my job is secure I do feel for my colleagues who’s jobs are at risk.

I don’t think the blame can be solely put on the bookmakers though, they operated within the constraints of the law at that time, like any company would do to maximise profits. They applied for and were granted gambling premises and operating licences from local councils. These councils that were happy for these shops to open and reap the rewards of rent etc. So like I said I don’t think you can blame the bookies completly. You don’t blame supermarkets that put on drink deals that could potentially target alcoholics. Everyone has a choice in life with what route they go down. If someone has developed a gambling problem that’s thier own fault and they need take responsibility for that. There are tools out there to support these people from entering stores, the same way there are tools online to prevent people from gambling.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)