Gambling cravings?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ZoeR91 WANTED $11
    Outlaw

Hi all,

Back in September I made the decision to join Gamstop for 6 months. My gambling was definitely out of control, and although I didn’t get myself into any debt, I had no savings for a rainy day. Fast forward to last week, my partner went back to work (I’m still furloughed) and as my six months was well up, I decided to come off of gamstop. I truly believed the time away had cured me and I could gamble responsibly. I was very wrong! I lost £600 in a week (money I definitely can not afford to lose) after losing the first £100 I was just chasing losses which was completely stupid. Anyway, I made the tough decision to go back on Gamstop, as clearly I am in no way “cured” and I cannot control myself when it comes to gambling.
    The point of this thread is, does anyone else get gambling cravings or withdrawals? I’m finding it so hard now as I’m basically indoors by myself all day. I’m thankful that I can’t gamble, but the cravings just won’t go away. I can’t concentrate on watching tv programmes I just lose interest. I wondered if anyone else has anything they do to take their mind off of gambling?

thanks!

Winningbird WANTED $574
    Outlaw

Hey, good to see you’ve recognised the problem and gone back onto gamstop. I’m on gamstop for 5 years and I still get urges so you’re not alone with that. If you’re finding it hard, I’d recommend going to gamcare and looking on the forums there. They have recovery diaries, intro forums, and forums for family and friends of gamblers. They also sorted my counselling out a while ago. It might be worth going on and having a look. It has helped me a lot. Try and get a hobby too which can distract you whilst you’re in the house alone. Baking/sewing/crafts seem to keep the mind busy. Hope you’re okay (:

Smokingbeagle WANTED $59
    Outlaw

Fell of the wagon this week myself . Got an email from an old site I forgot I hadn’t banned myself from. Roulette got up to £600 and then lost all down £600 in last few days . Self excluded now but hate myself for getting tempted .

however in the grand scheme of it all its a drop in the ocean to what I would have spent if I was still gambling daily

robthemonk12 WANTED $15
    Outlaw

I had a long break and then came back and now I’m done for good. The problem is always wanting more. Hitting a bonus, it being medicore and then playing for another one that never comes so redeposit. I’m done for good now. I said in another thread, I tried chasing some losses with Blackjack and got utterly destroyed for the loss of about £600 – in about 2 minutes. Deleted all betting apps and don’t go on any of the websites. I’m not on Gamstop, but slots have just totally lost their appeal to me now and I’m not finding any cravings for it.

I’ve come to the realisation that I’m richer in money terms and time terms without it.

mattywest11 WANTED $30
    Outlaw

I’m also on gamstop for the longest duration available (5 years) after the same thing. My 6 months expired and I came off, I lost more than I could afford due to the wrong attitude, I kept depositing thinking ‘well this isn’t bad because I’ve saved loads more in the last 6 months prior to this than I usually would’, the important thing is to remember why you signed up in the first place and try to stick with it as often the return to gambling can be more out of control than before you even put the restrictions on

overpair WANTED $1
    Outlaw

I did same last week,not gambled at all for over 12 months then pissed away £6.4k in 2 hours-annoyed with myself. i cancelled debit card and went back to just having a speedbank card. Just boredom and a moment of weakness

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)