Computer “random” = crash

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mr B WANTED $395
    Blocked

Watching single slot series video, good old bandit playing WWTBAM MW (and then goes on to play mirror mirror – single slot 😛 lol) Steve asks if maybe there is a pie spinning in the background that decides what the answer is when trying to earn/climb the free spins ladder.

Every win or decision on any computer pre-determined UNLESS it is a genuine skill shot.

A computer CANNOT generate a genuinely random number. AI will never respond “because I felt like it” or “can’t be arsed, have a jackpot” lol

If you think about it, if a computer could be scripted to try and create a genuinely random number, or act, it would simply crash.

argyl53 WANTED $419
    Outlaw

Well, you’re sort of right. Computers can only generate pseudo-random numbers based on an input “seed number” to an algorithm, however gambling software utilise either hardware or software generated cryptographically secure pseudo random number generators. In short, either RNG hardware which measures unpredictable quantum phenomena such as a photon passing through a partially reflective surface, or software measuring equally unpredictable device phenomena such as open file handles, processing threads and the like, are used to generate the input seed which makes the resulting number sufficiently random i.e. not based on microtime and therefore not even in principle predictable in advance.

Biohazard WANTED $675
    Outlaw

Argyl is spot on here.

It’s actually quite an interesting topic – random. Random is merely what we perceive to be unpredictable, an outcome that has too many complex variables to accurately determine. On that basis, you could argue that almost nothing in life is random (with the exception of perhaps atmospheric noise, radioactive decay, etc. etc. due to the chaotic nature, but who knows, that could be just down to our understanding of the subjects in hand).

Mr B WANTED $395
    Blocked

No no I fully agree that everything has a reason, regardless of that being understandable, in any way. But of course the meaning of random and it’s claimed use are not exactly the same. I know of one poker place that claimed to have a double shuffle (online) which had me wondering how useless the first must have been, to require a second and why not a third to make it 150% random, assuming the % value of each shuffle lol

I guess it leaves the only random thing being if they are really as random as possible and given eg a 91% rtp setting, can random really be stated ? I think not. But then I think of random letter picking from one stack of the alphabet, eventually the right letter has to come out but with deck changes and so on…. of course true random means massive ups and downs at times and only a house edge to give it true bias.

I dunno… really random ? nah.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)