So my internet was put in today…

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #35728
    The Bandit WANTED $3,449
    El Bandito

    Jayjay230 wrote:

    Can’t you just switch provider and get virgin media fibre optic 100mg I find bt piss poor imo

    Not available mate

    1
    #35745
    eejit101 WANTED $75
    Outlaw

    Step 1 – blame the wife.

    step 2 – move to malta.

    step 3 – sun and reel king

    1
    #35764
    EnglishGuy WANTED $59
    Outlaw

    I would be speaking to BT Steve.. The minimum speed down, should be 5.5mb

     

    Also, EE do a 4g device, check here >

    https://ee.co.uk/why-ee/mobile-coverage

    https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-router/details

    500gb for £100.. not cheap though.

     

    #35765
    EnglishGuy WANTED $59
    Outlaw

    oh.., also, the 4G router has an option.. an external aerial service.. apparently.. see here.. I imagine that would help a lot with speed etc.

    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/09/ee-uk-launch-500gb-data-allowance-on-4g-home-broadband-plans.html

     

    read this also

    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/ee-boost-rural-uk-4g-mobile-broadband-coverage-via-external-antenna.html

     

    #35771
    The Bandit WANTED $3,449
    El Bandito

    EnglishGuy wrote:

    oh.., also, the 4G router has an option.. an external aerial service.. apparently.. see here.. I imagine that would help a lot with speed etc.

    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/09/ee-uk-launch-500gb-data-allowance-on-4g-home-broadband-plans.html

     

    read this also

    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/ee-boost-rural-uk-4g-mobile-broadband-coverage-via-external-antenna.html

     

    Thanks mate i will have a look…. also….. i think i missed the fucker AGAIN! Lmao!

    #35772
    Sarahb9998 WANTED $5
    Outlaw

    Use this link http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslch    ecker.welcome

    Then post what it says excluding your phone number it will show the maximum speeds for you line

    #35843
    EnglishGuy WANTED $59
    Outlaw

    @sarahb9998 The theoretical max is 12mb.. but there’s obviously something wrong with the local box, as he’s getting pathetic speeds.

     

    #35842
    Catfish1604 WANTED $6
    Outlaw

    Evening all having read though this post today I thought it may be worth just adding a little extra detail into how the internet speeds work, as it would appear a lot of people think it is the providers fault they get slow speeds.

    In the bandits case here there is no big green cabinet near by which has a fibre link back to the exchange so his data has to travel the full length from house to exchange on a pair of copper wires and the greater that distance is the slower it becomes. Every provider apart from Virgin use the same pair of wires to transfer the data to the exchange. Anything over 4KM of cable between the house and the exchange is going to be less than 5Mbps

    .

    If you have FTTC what most people think as fibre broadband, then the loss only starts from the big green cabinet to the house so if the box is outside your house you will much faster speed then a person 500m down the road.

    Anyone close by the bandit that has fibre will be via the new FTTP which is where they bring a fibre connection all the way to the house, and by the sound of where bandit lives this is done overhead from a pole but if the pole nearest to the house is not set up for FTTP then when you order it the computer says NO where as if a human looked at it they would see that there is a pole close enough for this to be done, but its getting a human involved at the point of ordering which is the hardest part.

    What to do next contact BT again armed with the following details and try and speak to someone in planing and not sales, unless you go down the route of BT Business, (there sales team have more options) you will need the whats know as the DP (distribution point) number, this is the number on the pole normally white disks of the pole that has got Fibre on it they should then be able to plan a new route that has fibre and upgrade you.  Should only take a few weeks

    1
    #35886
    The Bandit WANTED $3,449
    El Bandito

    ***is off down the road with a torch to look at pole numbers** 😀

    I will certainly have a look and give them a call cheers

    #35887
    Run187 WANTED $15
    Outlaw

    My big green box is over two miles away ( one over road one would think they would use that) I still get 27 meg .bt are talking out of arse saying they can’t not fit a fttp or fftc on a new terminal .others in the same street have it so it’s possible..

    #35905
    Sarahb9998 WANTED $5
    Outlaw

    I couldn’t live with 2mbs bandit will end up actually sitting down with his family and talking what a nightmare lol no Netflix at that speed where are you living the Shetland islands!

    #35955
    pancrackbob WANTED $1
    Outlaw

    Whack ya details in here Bandit.

    https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/ultrafast-broadband/ultrafast-fibre-fttp

    I work for Openreach 🙂 Rollout is speeding up, especially in rural/semi rural areas. Many delays down to local councils and whether they will allow permits for us get the fibre in the ground/overhead, but many different factors. You won’t see Virgin putting a network in as they will never make any money out of it unless it is a City.

    Satellite broadband a popular workaround in the meantime, expensive but steady 20mb/sec,

     

     

     

    #35975
    Biohazard WANTED $364
    Outlaw

    Catfish1604 wrote:

    Evening all having read though this post today I thought it may be worth just adding a little extra detail into how the internet speeds work, as it would appear a lot of people think it is the providers fault they get slow speeds.

    In the bandits case here there is no big green cabinet near by which has a fibre link back to the exchange so his data has to travel the full length from house to exchange on a pair of copper wires and the greater that distance is the slower it becomes. Every provider apart from Virgin use the same pair of wires to transfer the data to the exchange. Anything over 4KM of cable between the house and the exchange is going to be less than 5Mbps

    .

    If you have FTTC what most people think as fibre broadband, then the loss only starts from the big green cabinet to the house so if the box is outside your house you will much faster speed then a person 500m down the road.

    Anyone close by the bandit that has fibre will be via the new FTTP which is where they bring a fibre connection all the way to the house, and by the sound of where bandit lives this is done overhead from a pole but if the pole nearest to the house is not set up for FTTP then when you order it the computer says NO where as if a human looked at it they would see that there is a pole close enough for this to be done, but its getting a human involved at the point of ordering which is the hardest part.

    What to do next contact BT again armed with the following details and try and speak to someone in planing and not sales, unless you go down the route of BT Business, (there sales team have more options) you will need the whats know as the DP (distribution point) number, this is the number on the pole normally white disks of the pole that has got Fibre on it they should then be able to plan a new route that has fibre and upgrade you.  Should only take a few weeks

    Someone that knows their stuff! (Ex) BT/Openreach employee or contractor?

    Just to keep everyone in this thread aware, I work for Openreach and have contacts around the business. This case has already been reviewed by the planner in question, but the issue here is that the infrastructure used is outdated and discontinued. To extend this cabling to the property is not really feasible, and even if it was, it’s been brought up that all of the available ports are currently used. Without visiting the site myself, or getting a surveyor out there, I can’t comment further on that point as it’s not clear what the engineer was referring to who visited the site.

    I have currently escalated this with one of our internal solutions teams who will take a good look and hopefully provide a resolution. However, the most likely scenario is that whole new infrastructure will have to be installed, and unless this is community funded, could take some time. There is a deployment plan that is agreed with the local authorities, and this property is currently at the very initial stages of these conversations.

    #35992
    The Bandit WANTED $3,449
    El Bandito

    Is there a rough idea of cost for it being community funded and then how long does that take? Of course by “community” i would mean me because everyone else has got it lol

    #35997
    Biohazard WANTED $364
    Outlaw

    The Bandit wrote:

    Is there a rough idea of cost for it being community funded and then how long does that take? Of course by “community” i would mean me because everyone else has got it lol

    It varies a lot. Basically if you register your interest and put in a request to self-fund it, they will send out a mobile planner to establish cabling, jointing and civils costs (amongst other things) and provide a quote. If it’s cheap enough or viable commercially for Openreach then they may sometimes do it for free. There are also grants/discounts available. But it’s all on a case by case basis. I’d hate to say, best to get the mobile planner out to have a look!

    As someone in this thread said, they got quoted £120k. It’s not impossible, although that is on the larger side. In some cases it’s below £2k.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 86 total)