In need of laptop advice!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Green2711 WANTED $492
    Outlaw

Hey Gang,

As you know I’m trying to cut down on the gambling so I’ve been trying to find things to do to keep me away.

A few weeks back I saw an advertisement on Facebook that World of Warcraft is going to be offering classic servers for people to experience vanilla wow all over again. At first I scrolled past without much thought but as the release is getting closer I’m finding myself really wanting to play again with the nostalgia flooding back.

My problem is that I don’t have a laptop or PC to play it on and I’m not really all that clued up on laptops and computers nowadays. I have got a really cheap laptop with no graphics card but it’s on its way out and struggles to play Web based browser games and Facebook games.

So I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a cheap gaming laptop that will let me play Classic Wow without any lag or poor FPS. The games quite old so I’m not looking to fork out a fortune for one but I would like one that would run it without any problems.

Any help is welcomed and I’m looking forward to becoming a no lifer again ?

eejit101 WANTED $312
    Outlaw

I got an Acer the other month which handles almsot anything, including 4 slots and poker at once, or a high vis game.

Your looking for the best graphics card you can get as standard, always look for top end G-Force with a large capacity RAM. It cost me approx 600quid… if your looking for cheaper you need a PC, not laptop. Laptop standard 250-400quid range wont handle well games like Football manager, never mind WOW.

benq99 WANTED $229
    Outlaw

do what i do i have a pc that is over 4 years old and wont play any games but get  shadow and it makes any thing from a cheap phone or a tablet,or even a shit old pc into a high end pc with a 1080 gpu and inter net speeds of 1000 mb.will play any game even the high end games

Haz40 WANTED $1,166
    Outlaw

Green mate my knowledge of laptops computer things technology ? non existent sorry. Good luck though finding what your after.

Seedy WANTED $1,243
    Sheriff

Best getting a desktop mate laptops are very much more expensive. And just not as good if you need help finding one let me know I will be glad to find you a decent deal. I’m heading back home from visiting my dads today so I will be back later tonight. All being well and I’m not tired ??

Green2711 WANTED $492
    Outlaw

eejit101 wrote:

I got an Acer the other month which handles almsot anything, including 4 slots and poker at once, or a high vis game.

Your looking for the best graphics card you can get as standard, always look for top end G-Force with a large capacity RAM. It cost me approx 600quid… if your looking for cheaper you need a PC, not laptop. Laptop standard 250-400quid range wont handle well games like Football manager, never mind WOW.

I don’t think I’ll need the absolute best graphics card as I seem to remember Wow not being very graphic intensive to the point I could run it on a potato back in Vanilla days.

Also I looked up shadow but it seems Blizzard hands out bans for people using it.

Seedy if you could do that it would be most helpful mate I only realistically want to spend £400 max I’m not looking for a pro gaming computer just something that will run Wow without stutter and fps lag.

Thanks for the replies guys 🙂

Winningbird WANTED $574
    Outlaw

I would just get a tower and hook it up to the tv instead of a monitor. Much better in my opinion, and you can mod the tower to how you want it, saving money as you go. No point spending money on a laptop for a puny little screen and for it to run like shit after a day or 2 🙂

Green2711 WANTED $492
    Outlaw

Winningbird wrote:

I would just get a tower and hook it up to the tv instead of a monitor. Much better in my opinion, and you can mod the tower to how you want it, saving money as you go. No point spending money on a laptop for a puny little screen and for it to run like shit after a day or 2 ?

Yeah that’s what I’m going to do I think since I’ve always had problems with gaming laptops overheating and it will be cheaper to use a HDMI cable to link it to my tv.

Seedy if you get chance these are the minimum specs I’ll need

ImperialDragon WANTED $68
    Outlaw

Those specs sound about right Green2711!  I think the original World of Warcraft had a 2004 graphics engine.  My Geforce 5600 ran so-and-so on on medium game settings and later I had the Geforce 6800 and that thing flew on high settings.  The Geforce 8800 would be a touch higher still.

To keep the nostalgia going, which years did you all play Warcraft and how far did you get in the game?

I played from late 2005 to late 2009.  I rolled 2 warlocks up to around level 20 to try out both factions, then carried on with the Alliance warlock thereafter.  I hit level 60 in mid-2006 (max level back then) and joined an up-and-coming social/raiding guild.  It was pretty good as none of us had raided before so we were all in it together, got each other attuned, Jailbreak etc.  Then we went on to complete Ony, MC, ZG, AQ20, BWL – all of them on farm.  Most were geared up in T2 by the end of 2006.  We got halfway through AQ40 then the clock stopped as it was Christmas and the Burning Crusade was around the corner.  So yes the Warcraft base game had my fondest memories.  While I liked the content from the Burning Crusade, there were some guild politics due to the reduced raid sizes and it meant that a lot of the players got left behind.  Then Lich King came out in late 2008, did Naxx (which I never saw the first time round) but lost interest soon after.

Seedy WANTED $1,243
    Sheriff

I will get having a look mate if you use Twitter send me a message my account can be found on my mixer page dude.

Green2711 WANTED $492
    Outlaw

ImperialDragon wrote:

Those specs sound about right Green2711!  I think the original World of Warcraft had a 2004 graphics engine.  My Geforce 5600 ran so-and-so on on medium game settings and later I had the Geforce 6800 and that thing flew on high settings.  The Geforce 8800 would be a touch higher still.

To keep the nostalgia going, which years did you all play Warcraft and how far did you get in the game?

I played from late 2005 to late 2009.  I rolled 2 warlocks up to around level 20 to try out both factions, then carried on with the Alliance warlock thereafter.  I hit level 60 in mid-2006 (max level back then) and joined an up-and-coming social/raiding guild.  It was pretty good as none of us had raided before so we were all in it together, got each other attuned, Jailbreak etc.  Then we went on to complete Ony, MC, ZG, AQ20, BWL – all of them on farm.  Most were geared up in T2 by the end of 2006.  We got halfway through AQ40 then the clock stopped as it was Christmas and the Burning Crusade was around the corner.  So yes the Warcraft base game had my fondest memories.  While I liked the content from the Burning Crusade, there were some guild politics due to the reduced raid sizes and it meant that a lot of the players got left behind.  Then Lich King came out in late 2008, did Naxx (which I never saw the first time round) but lost interest soon after.

I originally rolled a Warrior in Vanilla and started raiding with a social guild at first then joined a more hardcore guild (not as hardcore as the guilds who cleared Naxx) and became Main tank we cleared everything in AQ40 up to Twin emp and C’thun and killed 2 bosses in Naxx before TBC but the guild went inactive by that time and no one was really that fussed at doing Naxx with TBC round the corner. I also had a gnome mage alt that I used to pvp I got to rank 10 and was pushing for grand marshal but ended up getting burnt out.

I stayed with that guild through TBC and it became a bit more casual then but we managed to clear everything other than Sunwell. After TBC the guild I was in since vanilla disbanded. I also met my first GF whilst playing TBC started out as friends running dungeons and helping her farm and eventually she moved over here and we was together for 5 years, how romantic eh ??.

Im Wotlk I rerolled a night elf hunter for the first few raids into Naxx then whilst waiting for more raid content I rerolled a blood elf holy paladin and mained that up until Cataclysm clearing all raids on heroic difficulty.

After Cata I decided to quit because the game had lost its charm by then. I was defintely what you would consider a no lifer and I shudder to think of /played time with all my mains and alts combined haha.

Thanks Seedy I’ll message you when I get back from work or tomorrow ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)